UP Professional and Support
FUTURE AFRICA INSTITUTE
PROGRAMME MANAGER - FIXED TERM CONTRACT
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy that has arisen at the Future Africa Institute.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
Future Africa is an initiative by the University of Pretoria to develop innovative transdisciplinary skills transfer programmes to address Africa's growth and development challenges and developing capacity for solution-based, interconnected and Pan-African research networks for innovation. Future Africa is a research institute with strong acumen on transdisciplinary science. The institute is purpose-built, promoting transdisciplinary research excellence, developing new approaches to research and innovation that span disciplinary fields and geo-political boundaries, fostering the development of research networks, partnerships and training. It aims to address complex societal challenges and to contribute to the achievement of Africa's sustainable, inclusive and equitable development. From a Future Africa perspective, research specific transdisciplinarity integrates perspectives across academic disciplines, scales and sectors, understanding that linear thinking will not create the most effective solutions to global challenges.
The Sustainable Food Systems (SFS) is one of six Research Chairs of Future Africa. The SFS chair focuses on addressing complex societal challenges in food systems by adopting transdisciplinary research. Five research themes form the core of the transdisciplinary work at the FA-SFS Chair. These are Climate Smart Food Systems; Unleashing the potential of Africa's Crops, Improving Africa's Herds, Providing Safe and Nutritious Food; and Evidence Led Policy Development.
We are seeking a self-driven and highly motivated candidate to fill the position of Programmes Manager in the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems Chair and support the activities within the Chair group. The Programme Manager shall be responsible for coordinating and managing all programme aspects related to the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems Chair.
The successful incumbent will be appointed on a fixed-term contract, renewable on an annual basis subject to the availability of funding and performance.
The incumbent will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Coordinate and manage all programme aspects related to the Future Africa - Sustainable Food Systems Chair;
- Support post-doctoral fellows hosted under the Sustainable Food Systems chair and related liaison with the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems internal and external stakeholders;
- Monitor and track progress of deliverables from the Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems chair including compilation of periodic technical reports(inception, implementation progress, close-out) specific to the requirements of donors/funders and sectoral policy makers in the respective thematic areas;
- Support resource mobilisation and proposal development efforts through identification of funding opportunities relevant to the Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems Chair; contribute to drafting of proposals, budgets and analysis of anticipated project/event costs;
- Compile and keep updated directory of donor agencies associated with and interested in Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems chair activities;
- Provide budget planning, tracking and analysis oversight of the Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems Chair group expenditures and allocation of funds to different cost-centres for approval by the Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems Chair;
- Manage donor liaison for existing projects and potential funding opportunities that are facilitated and maintained within the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems chair;
- Compile and submit financial reports as per Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems Chair requirements (monthly, quarterly, and annually);
- Oversee daily operations in the Future Africa -Sustainable Food Systems chair group;
- Manage internal and external correspondence and maintain the diary of activities and meetings for the Sustainable Food Systems Chair and group;
- Support post-doctoral fellows in ongoing research activities and provide logistical support for travel, meetings and other events associated with the programme;
- Manage programme communication with materials- share a blog per month with external stakeholders aligned with the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems directorate; donor agencies, other tertiary institutions, government representatives, international foundations and the media;
- Identify and establish rapport with all key internal stakeholders: Future Africa Chair groups, All Deans, all UP staff, ARUA-Sustainable Food System Team, Post-doctoral fellows associated with the Future Africa-Sustainable Food Systems Chair.
- A Master's Degree in Biological Sciences, Agriculture, Environmental Sustainability, Food Systems or related;
- At least four years' experience in administration and project management;
- At least four years' experience in resource mobilization and grant management;
- At least four years' proven experience of technical report compilation, review and analysis;
- A valid driver's licence.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent knowledge of project management systems;
- Excellent knowledge of financial administration systems;
- Excellent knowledge of project risk management;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Efficiency in time management skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Excellent time management, organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to facilitate at a high level and excellent presentation skills;
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills;
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Advanced computer literacy (MS office especially MS Project and MS Access) and working with web-interfaced software, social media and email packages;
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills;
- Advanced project management and general and technical report writing skills;
- Good information and document management skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A post-graduate qualification in in project management;
- At least five years' experience in resource mobilization and grant management;
- At least five years' proven knowledge and understanding of transdisciplinary research in the field of climate change, land, agriculture and biodiversity;
- At least five years' experience in an analytical and programme management environment.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
Applicants will be requested to consent to the University verifying the information required from them (qualifications; criminal record, credit record, current disciplinary cases etc.)
The annual all-inclusive remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 02 June 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Jeovitah Chimhamhiwa, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2022 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.