At Wiley, we welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and embrace individuals who get excited about learning whether online or by book. Learning is for everyone, and so is our workplace. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion. It's in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
As an Assistant Editor, you will be involved in all aspects of the editorial process, such as peer review of submissions, development of journal content, post-acceptance processing of manuscripts, and contacts with authors from all over the world. This is a temporary, 12-month position.
The mission of Chemistry Europe is to evaluate, publish, disseminate, and amplify the scientific excellence of chemistry researchers from around the globe in high-quality publications. It supports its members at every stage of their careers as they strive to solve the challenges that impact humankind. In all its work, Chemistry Europe values integrity, openness, diversity, cooperation, and freedom of thought. It is essential that we attract the best content from around the world and we are looking for a self-motivated and solutions-oriented individual to join our team as Assistant Editor in the Weinheim editorial office, who will contribute to the further development of the journals in a competitive environment.Your responsibilities will include:
The role requires:
- Work together with the journal's leadership and editorial team on all aspects of the editorial process.
- Oversee the peer-review process for manuscripts in a particular area of chemistry and prepare accepted manuscripts for publication.
- Represent the journal at conferences and through outreach activities at universities and research institutes; establish and maintain a strong network of scientists who are the journal's authors, peer reviewers, and readers.
- Actively contribute to cross-functional working groups developing and implementing strategy at the journal and portfolio level.
- Postgraduate degree in chemistry or a closely related science with an excellent research background in inorganic chemistry or inorganic materials and an understanding of recent trends and developments in these fields.
- Ability to critically evaluate the quality and implications of high-impact research manuscripts and to communicate with authors and peer reviewers confidently and diplomatically.
- Confidence to present and represent the journal at conferences and through institute visits, nurture existing contacts, and develop new networks.
- Ability to work independently, with a high degree of self-motivation and excellent time-management and organizational skills.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills, with a flexible and innovative approach to problem-solving and a focus on defining and achieving outcomes.
- Familiarity with text and graphics computer applications, as well as social media, is required.
- Fluent command of spoken and written English.
A good understanding of the journal publication process (for example, as an author or reviewer) would be an advantage but previous publishing experience is not required as full training will be provided. The Editorial Office is based at Wiley-VCH in Weinheim, a pleasant small town near Heidelberg in southwest Germany. We offer competitive financial and career rewards, training and career developmentAbout Wiley:
We are in one of the most dynamic periods in our history as technology, globalism and economic diversity create far-reaching changes in the world. As a learning business, Wiley makes meaningful contributions to research discovery and lifelong learning by helping organizations achieve their goals and people achieve success from education through their career. We may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: change with the times and adapt to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers. The company's headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Canada.
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We evaluate qualified applicants and treat all applicants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
When applying, please attach your resume/CV to be considered.