Seagen is looking for an experienced leader in Discovery Research to join our organization. This newly created role will report to the VP, Discovery Research. It will set the strategy for a team of scientific leaders responsible for discovering and developing new cancer drug technologies. This includes leading the discovery and development of novel antibody drug conjugate (ADC) technologies, including new payload mechanisms of action and conditional drug release mechanisms that improve drug potency, therapeutic efficacy, and specificity. The leader of this group will also oversee the integration of new ADC technology with novel antibody formats to advance Seagen's ADC platform. The successful candidate will also work with senior leadership in Research to build new capabilities within the group that complements the ADC platform and expands our expertise in small molecule targeted cancer drug discovery and development. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in cancer drug discovery and will be key in enabling the organization to deliver on innovative technologies that translate to IND candidates. The role will work closely with all groups within Research, but will also work with Process Sciences, Clinical Development as well as Business Development, Corporate Strategy, and Legal to evaluate external technologies.
- Lead a group of highly skilled and experienced chemists and protein scientists who are focused on targeted anticancer drug delivery
- Extend the research scope in areas of novel drug mechanisms of action that complement existing technologies and approaches
- Expand efforts towards optimizing new antibody drugs for targeted delivery and targeted cancer drug discovery and development
- Explore new ADC drug linkers, protein designs and drug carriers designed to enhance ADC biologic and pharmacologic properties
- Initiate efforts directed towards improving the therapeutic window of targeted drug delivery strategies beyond those achieved with existing delivery systems through new protein engineering and drug linker/payload strategies
- Collaborate with senior leaders across the Research and Translational Sciences organization to develop new targeted drug discovery strategies
- Position research programs and establish strong alliances with Process Sciences, Process Chemistry and other groups within Seattle Genetics to assure that promising new molecules advance expeditiously towards clinical trials
- Establish strategic relationships with biotech, pharma, and key academic groups that have technologies that complement the ongoing efforts within the group
- Contribute to appropriate Intellectual Property strategies for the protection of new discoveries
- Generate a robust publication record in leading journals, and present findings at key meetings
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, discovery, and cutting-edge research
- A PhD in chemistry with significant background in organic synthesis, analytical technologies, medicinal chemistry
- 15-20 years' experience in pharmaceutical industry with preclinical and clinical development activities
- A deep knowledge of drug discovery and development including a track record of advancing novel drugs through early phase discovery into pre-clinical and clinical development
- Expertise in the discovery and development of targeted drugs for cancer, including a broad understanding of the field and the challenges it faces
- A history in the targeted delivery of cancer drugs, including experience with antibody drug conjugates or other targeted delivery systems is a plus
- Proven leadership skills with a track record of leading medium to large groups and the ability to work effectively with other groups throughout the company
- A track record of successfully building research groups, hiring talented scientists and developing their careers
- Lead multidisciplinary scientific teams in developing new programs and projects, providing clear direction to research efforts that align with Research departmental goals and long term strategy
- Membership of scientific societies or scientific achievement awards. A distinguished publication and patent record, reflecting innovation and a series of outstanding discoveries
- Collaborate with the Research Leadership Team to drive discoveries in biological and pharmaceutical research; to innovate new products and novel technologies; and to build research and innovation strategies and infrastructure;
- Develop and execute research and early project plans that will systematically address multiple target and indication opportunities
- Create and execute overall chemistry plan to ensure robust, cost-effective support of company discovery and development portfolio
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Seagen requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
NewYorkLifeScience.com, owned and published by Info.Resource, Inc. , is a resource
for the life science industry in the state of New York.