This Research Specialist is a full-time staff position in the College of Veterinary Medicine. The Research Specialist will report administratively to the Associate Dean for Research. The primary responsibility of this position is to assist in execution of research experiments for CVM veterinary scientists. The successful candidate will primarily be involved in cellular and molecular immunology research. To successfully meet this responsibility, this Research Specialist will draft research protocols, write, and comply with standard operating procedures (SOP's), collect and manage research data, analyze research data, write draft reports, and initiate and manage an archive for research study reports. In addition, the Research Specialist will be responsible for ordering and managing research supplies and complying with the expectations and SOP's of the Midwestern University Biosafety Committee and Radiation Safety Committees.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with faculty to develop experimental protocols for scientific investigations
- Maintain, monitor, and operate standard laboratory equipment (e.g. centrifuges, pH meters, incubators, freezers, refrigerators)
- Collect, prepare, and manage specimens and samples properly and efficiently (may involve working with live animals)
- Perform experiments to produce reliable data in support of scientific investigations
- Perform common procedures in biomedical research, (e.g. conventional and quantitative PCR, western immunoblotting, 2D-PAGE, , flow cytometry, ELISA and ELISPOT, recombinant protein expression, fluorescence microscopy)
- Perform advanced experimentation using flow cytometry and cell sorting, multiplex ELISA array, multiplex bead-based assay, cellular metabolism analyzer, advanced microscopy including live cell imaging, and analyze data generated using associated software (e.g. FlowJo)
- BSL-1 and 2 bench work using a variety of cell and molecular biology techniques, including isolation, culture, and characterization of primary cells and immortalized cell lines.
- Maintains detailed documentation of experiments, data and its analysis.
- Present data in a comprehensible fashion to other members of the research group
- Interpret laboratory data and identify problems and suggest solutions when necessary.
- Provide guidance and training to MWU students working in CVM research laboratories
- Follow and ensure safety procedures
- Ensure that the laboratory is well-stocked and organized and maintains track of budgets.
- Order laboratory supplies and other items related to research activities
- Attend mandatory training, e.g. handling live animals, biosafety, radiation safety
- Assist in drafting research proposals, protocols, scientific reports, and IACUC/CRC documents
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean for Research
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must have the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner and must have regular, predictable, in-person attendance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This person should enjoy working with college faculty and students. Collegiality and teamwork are essential attributes necessary to support a positive work environment.Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in biological sciences with at least 3-5 years of related experience directly working in a research lab or a research-based Master's degree in biological sciences with 2 years of related research work experience. Previous experience and general knowledge in cellular immunology and microbiology, and molecular genetics research. Working knowledge of tissue culture, flow cytometry and cell sorting, advanced imaging including live cell microscopy, and multiplex assays is required. Proficiency in these techniques is preferred. Must have experience with mammalian cell cultures methods. Must be able to work independently after an initial training period.Computer Skills
Computer proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint). Proficiency in genomics and proteomics data management is highly desired. Experience with R and GraphPad Prism desirable.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Interactions with live and/or dead animals may be required, and this individual must not have allergies to dogs, cats, or horses. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race; color; religion; creed; national origin or ancestry; ethnicity; sex (including pregnancy); gender (including gender expressions, gender identity; and sexual orientation); marital status; age; disability; citizenship; past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services; genetic information; or any other protected class, in accord with all federal, state and local laws, including 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a). Midwestern University complies with the Smoke-Free Arizona Act (A.R.S. 36-601.01) and the Smoke Free Illinois Act (410 ILCS 82/). Midwestern University complies with the Illinois Equal Pay Act of 2003 and Arizona Equal Pay Acts.