The product development chemist is responsible for assisting with or independently performing pressure sensitive adhesive projects to solve customer-related issues. The chemist will execute mixing trials, lab coating, polymer synthesis, testing, data analysis, and report writing. This role will bring technical solutions to our customers by working collaboratively with customers and AR's Innovation Team. The position will perform hands-on laboratory work using reliable scientific and technical methodologies to develop new adhesive solutions, robust products, and basic production processes that can be successfully commercialized.
• Independently designs limited scale lab experiments; contributions to the design of lab-scale mixing and coating experiments. Additionally assists in executing lab mixing and coating experiments designed by others.
• Assists and/or leads polymerization reactions for new adhesive development.
• Leads testing of production trials.
• Prepares samples and conducts various tests to determine properties of adhesives and tapes.
• Records, organizes and communicates results/data from experiments and testing. Performs analysis of data, draws conclusions, & makes experimental recommendations. Drafts reports.
• Maintains lab areas, storage areas and equipment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Responsible for following all applicable waste handling procedures.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemistry or closely related field
• Experience in polymer and/or adhesive chemistry is preferred but not required.
• Proficient in general chemistry laboratory protocols
• Must communicate fluently in English
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of AR information
• Ability to perform duties with moderate supervision
• Effective oral & written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Requires an aptitude to use sensitive test equipment
• Proficient in use of PowerPoint, report writing, and effective e-mail communication