We are looking for a Research Assistant (RA) who is enthusiastic and excited about the in vivo physiology work we do in our lab with mice, wants to make a strong scientific contribution to our research, and has the interest in growing within the position. This Research Assistant will maintain a large colony of genetically engineered mouse models and perform a wide variety of physiology experiments, surgeries and the use of advanced physiological instrumentation. It is an opportunity to learn advanced techniques in molecular biology, protein and RNA purification and analysis, mammalian tissue culture, biochemical assays, immunostaining, and microscopy. The RA will follow up experiments by organizing, processing, and reporting data. This RA is expected to be fully engaged in the intellectual activities of the lab and actively participate in lab meetings and discussions. We are prepared to provide advanced training and opportunities for the candidate who can make a commitment to our lab. The more directly related metabolic and mouse model research experience you come with, the higher will be your starting salary.Hotamisligil Lab
at the Sabri Ülker Center
[at the Harvard
TH Chan School of Public Health https://www.gsh.sph.harvard.edu
] studies innate adaptive pathways involved in metabolic health and diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and asthma. For the past 26 years, our lab has made important contributions to the burgeoning field of "immunometabolism
", studying the interactions between metabolic and immune responses as critical drivers of numerous chronic diseases. In the last decade, we have approached immunometabolism in these two paths: organelle homeostasis and lipid metabolism. Using biochemical, genetic, and physiological studies, we aim to find novel pathways and preventive, therapeutic solutions to today's greatest threats to global human health. The environment in our laboratory is collegial, supportive and diverse. One of the greatest powers of science is its ability to unite people, where representatives from every nation, culture, ethnicity, religion, and lifestyle can work together for a common purpose. This is most evident in the Sabri Ülker Center, where we come together to tackle challenging questions and dream to make a positive impact on human life.
The primary responsibilities of the Research Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain mouse colonies, including breeding and genotyping - a daily responsibility.
- Perform mouse metabolic physiology experiments.
- Process mouse blood and tissue samples for protein and RNA analysis.
- Maintain cell cultures and performing cell culture experiments.
- Assist lab members with mouse physiology experiments.
- Perform bench experiments including Polymerase Chain Reactions, Gel Electrophoresis
- Utilize laboratory equipment including plate reader, tissue lyser, spectrometer, CT Scan for mice, metabolic cages.
- Analyze, interpret, and report data.
- Participate and contribute to lab meetings, journal clubs, and data discussions.
- BS in biological sciences that included hands on research experience - outside of classroom requirements.
- One year of related work experience handling mice.
- One year of experience performing basic molecular and cellular biology techniques - outside of required classes.
- Demonstrated excellent communication, organization, time management skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated high level of accuracy in maintaining detailed records.
- Demonstrated passion for science.
- High level of initiative and motivation.
- Desire to work both independently and with a team.
Experience in performing animal studies.Compensation
: Competitive salary with potential for promotion. Excellent benefits. Paid time off includes 15 days of vacation per year; increases to 20 days per year after five years of service. 3 personal days annually.12 sick days per year - up to 12 days per year to care for a sick family or household member. 11.5 paid holidays plus a Winter Recess during the week between Christmas and New Year. Up to 4 weeks paid leave for new parents who are primary caregivers. Time off for jury duty and bereavement.
PLEASE RESPOND WITH A RESUME AND A COVER LETTER EXPLAINING YOUR HANDS-ON BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH EXPERIENCE AND IDENTIFYING THIS POSTING