The successful candidate will bring cutting-edge, hands-on industry expertise and deep knowledge of cancer drug discovery. The candidate will work closely with our senior management and lead scientists in drug discovery, and support functional genomics. The role will have a focus on validation and execution of assays in-house and ensuring reliability and reproducibility of results in order to support our strategic projects. The candidate will have opportunities for leadership roles in cross-functional projects with internal teams, academic or pharmaceutical collaborators.
· As an Associate Director of Drug Discovery, you will provide leadership for novel assay development and validation, robust experimental execution and data analysis for a range of molecular, cellular, and biochemical assays
· Manage a team of laboratory scientists and contribute to building a positive, team- and results-oriented culture
· Lead studies to support Go / No-Go decisions for small molecule or antibody drug testing.
· Interact with Chemistry, In vivo Pharmacology, and Bioinformatics, and Target Discovery functions, as well as Preclinical project teams to support the identification of lead candidates for oncology and potentially other therapeutic indications
· Lead partnerships with CROs to execute in vitro or in vivo studies to screen compounds.
· Support characterization of new targets and work with bioinformaticians to investigate gene networks involved in oncology.
· Work collaboratively with the Engine teams in Asia and US.
· Involvement in collaborations with external partners, including academic labs.
· Resource planning, managing budgets, timelines, and priorities.
· Contribute to scientific strategy and planning.
· This work involves communication with scientists at global locations, so some flexibility in working hours will be required.
· Ph.D. with 7+ years of relevant work experience in drug discovery.
· In depth understanding of oncology. Experience in others therapeutic areas including neurodegeneration, inflammation or immuno-oncology is a plus.
· Proven track record performing assay validation in drug discovery in oncology
· Strong experience in experimental molecular and cell biology techniques, such as mammalian tissue culture, flow cytometry, cell line engineering, Western blotting.
· Strong data analysis and interpretation including in depth working knowledge of Graph Pad Prism.
· Track record of achievement in industry leading cross functional teams, including working globally.
· Experience mentoring junior scientists and/or research associates.
· Working knowledge of animal pharmacology, DMPK and ability to work with DMPK consultants is a strong plus.
· Experience with CRISPR/RNAi as a target validation tool is a plus.
· Preferred experience in developing successful collaborations and relationships with academic and/or industrial partners and KoLs.
· Ability to execute on multiple, complex projects within strict timelines.
· Excellence and rigor in data interpretation skills, demonstrated by a successful track record in overseeing projects. Able to take direction, work independently and troubleshoot problems proactively and effectively.
· Strong judgment and decision-making skills in proposing critical go/no-go decisions for projects.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills - verbal, written, and presentations.
· 7+ years of biotech/pharma R&D experience is preferred.
· Strong peer-reviewed publication record