Job DescriptionAbout Willow Biosciences:
Willow Biosciences is a synthetic biology company focused on the development of bio-based processes for the production of ingredients, including those for consumer care, food & beverage, and pharmaceuticals. Our scientists engineer organisms to produce plant-, animal-, and petrochemical-derived ingredients through precision fermentation. Our processes are more sustainable, secure, and cost-effective than traditional extraction or chemical synthesis routes and typically provide the final products in higher purity. Job Listing: Associate Scientist/Scientist - Assay & Analytics
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist/Scientist to join our Assay & Analytics team and contribute to the metabolic engineering of biosynthetic pathways in microorganisms, specifically yeast. The successful candidate will have strong analytical skills, in-depth knowledge of assay development, biostatistics, metabolic engineering as well as practical experience with automation workflows for HTP screening. Education & Experience:
MS or PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field. 2+ years' experience working with analytical instruments and operating lab automation equipment in an industrial research setting (Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or Life Sciences Industries). Specific experience in mass spectrometry and working in a high-throughput environment are strongly preferred. Job Description:
- Develop, validate, and execute analytical methods for detection and quantification of molecules of interest in engineered yeast strains.
- Conduct weekly high-throughput screening workflow including culturing, preparing reagents & samples, extracting samples, and analyzing samples with HPLC/UPLC and GC with various detection methods (mass spectrometry, DAD, FID).
- Apply a broad range of standard analytical methods to analyze fermentation samples and characterize strains.
- Optimize and implement protocols for HTP workflow and analytical methods.
- Take an active role in processing & analyzing data to ensure delivery of data in a timely manner to other teams.
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain robotic liquid handlers (e.g. Bravo), HPLC/UPLC, GCMS, LCMS, incubators/shakers, and other standard laboratory equipment.
- Evaluate new technologies and instrumentation that will further enable and advance project goals.
- Mentor research associates.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work; provide written documentation and specifications of analytical workflows (SOPs).
- Effectively work and communicate with other scientists from diverse technical backgrounds (strain engineers, fermentation scientists, and computational biologists).
- Hands-on experience with HPLC/UPLC, GCMS, LCMS; experience with Agilent LCMS (Triple-quadrupole) and Agilent GCMS is a plus.
- Knowledge of biosynthetic pathways in microbes is a plus.
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
- A strong desire to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for workflow and process improvements.
- Attention to detail, good laboratory practice and maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput.
- Experience working with LIMS and proficiency with MS Office suite.
Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods; performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists; use of standard lab PPE (lab coats, safety glasses and gloves) Position Type:
Not required Work Authorization:
Authorized to work in the US Benefits:
Equal Opportunity Employment:
- Competitive salary package, 401k, healthcare benefits (medical, vision, dental)
- Life / AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- PTO plan plus company & general holidays
- Opportunities for professional development
- Snacks, weekly lunch, company & team building events
Willow Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.