*Position Title:*Research Assistant, Full Time, Limited Term
*Full or Part Time:*Full Time
*Employee Status :*Limited Term
*Job Description Summary:*The Research Assistant will work independently and in collaboration with others (mostly undergraduate students), and perform research using biochemistry and molecular biology techniques.
Daily scientific tasks may include molecular biology, protein expression and purification, SDS-PAGE, western blotting, ELISA, and cell culture. Applicants must be familiar with mammalian protein expression. This position may perform other scientific tasks or duties and may assist in experimental design and data analysis as well as general lab maintenance, supply ordering, and safety.
* Performs biochemistry and molecular biology techniques as part of a collaborative research lab.
* Records data and provides a basic analysis of results, including reports to PI on conclusions based upon theoretical and experimental knowledge.
* Maintains lab equipment by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, performing preventive maintenance, and calling for any additional repairs or calibrations.
* Attends and participates in group and project meetings.
* Helps maintain proper laboratory safety procedures, updates safety protocols, logbooks, including radiation and bio waste safety.
* Resolves problems by examining and evaluating data; selecting corrective steps.
* Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications and presenting journal article overviews.
* Supervises undergraduate students, trains new students, models, and ensures proper safety protocols.
* Maintains laboratory by cleaning, washing, and sterilizing.
* Distributes pipettes tips including pipet boxes, and sterilizing pipette tip boxes.
* Keeps laboratory supplies ready by inventory stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
* Other duties as assigned.
* A Bachelor s degree in biochemistry or related science with laboratory research experience including protein expression in mammalian cell cultures and/or insect cells.
* Familiarity with basic laboratory research (safety, use of pH meter, UV Vis spectrometer, and centrifuge)
* Familiarity with Western blot, SDS-PAGE and mass spectrometry.
* Strong analytical and organizational skills
* Communication and interpersonal skills to interact and work collaboratively with other researchers
* Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
* Writing skills to summarize research findings and integrate into scientific manuscripts
* Willingness to acquire new skills
* Willing to drive from Rinker to Orange campus
*Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening, and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.
*Minimum Number of References:*3
Associated topics: aseptic, bacteria, bio, biology, biotechnology, genome, metabolism, physical, protein, toxicologist