DetailsAt a Glance! Lower Columbia College is English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor to provide contextualized English as a Second Language instruction to diverse groups of students attending classes together in a competency-based program. We are looking for an Instructor who is excited and enthusiastic about ESL, fosters a climate of equity and belonging through multicultural awareness and responsiveness and has strong communication skills. This Instructor will apply principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of teaching, student support, and curriculum development. The Instructor will use technology to teach effectively in face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online modalities. LCC has a strong commitment to making diversity, equity, and inclusion a core component of initiatives, program operations and professional development. We believe diversity enriches the educational experience for all students, faculty, and staff.
The Instructor position is 173 contract days (fall, winter, spring). Start date is September 9, 2022. The salary range is $58,762 to $81,011 based on education and experience. There is a 6% retention stipend in addition to the base salary. This position requires campus presence for in person classes as well as online instruction. The ESL Instructor reports to the Dean of Instructional Programs. Check us out on [Facebook](https://www.facebook.com/LowerColumbiaCollege) and [Instagram](https://www.instagram.com/lowercolumbiacollege/)!
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities*You will have the opportunity to:*
* Teach English contextualized in subjects required for a high school diploma to immigrant and international students
* Teach and interact effectively with staff and students of various cultural, ethnic, generational and socio-economic backgrounds
* Teach a wide range of levels, from pre-literacy to academic reading and writing
* Lead with equity by creating an equitable learning environment that supports success for all students.
* Identify and mitigate barriers to success that many students face
* Apply current theories and research on teaching/learning styles, collaborative learning, assessment, and multicultural education
* Provide effective classroom management, including navigating challenging conversations
* Utilize technology to provide engaging and innovative language learning experiences
* Promote innovative learning experiences with professional-technical programs, cross-disciplinary team teaching, and integration with other LCC programs
* Participate in ongoing instructional assessment, using current field-specific research findings, data, and educational techniques to develop/modify course content
* Participate in LCC governance, department, division and campus-related professional activities
* Provide academic advising to students
* Proctor CASAS tests as needed; using diagnostic tools to foster academic advancement
* Perform other duties as assigned
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, effort, work conditions, and benefits associated with the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Typical Qualifications*Minimum Requirements *
* Master's degree (MA) in English as a Second Language; OR related discipline
* Two (2) years of experience teaching ESL in a higher education environment
* Experience teaching High School Diploma/GED content areas
* Experience using Microsoft Office, Google Suite, learning management systems, and/or similar programs/technology
* Strong communication skills
*Preferred Requirements *
* Application of the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion as they relate to teaching, student support, and curriculum development
* Experience working with high school aged youth, adults, and diverse, systemically marginalized people in a community college, university or high school setting
* Experience applying instructional approaches for both immigrant and international students for a variety of levels including academic ESL/composition
* Experience with assessment and teaching approaches in the field of ESL including CASAS, IBEST, and the College and Career Readiness Standards
* Familiarity with the K-12 education system and high school transcript evaluation
* Experience teaching and developing coursework online
The minimum qualifications may seem specific and limiting, but we do consider candidates with relatable education, experience, and skills. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet exactly what's listed. With questions about qualifications, feel free to reach out to our HR team. Supplemental InformationEqual Employment OpportunityLower Columbia College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, age, perceived or actual physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal. All Inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievance procedures should be directed to Vice President of Foundation, HR & Legal Affairs,1600 Maple Street, PO Box 3010, Longview, WA 98632, Phone number, (360) 442-2120, Phone number/TTY (800) 833-6388. Learn more on our [Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment page.](https://lowercolumbia.edu/publications/administrative-policies/235.php)
The college is compliant with Title IX best practices. For more information, visit [About Title IX](https://lowercolumbia.edu/titleix-sexual-misconduct/about.php).The college encourages qualified members of protected classes to apply. ** ***Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
*LCC celebrates and embraces diversity of all kinds, including differing beliefs, cultures, people, and experiences. We commit to institutional and individual changes that recognize, understand, and challenge patterns of social inequity and systemic disparities within our ever-changing world. For more information, see [Diversity & Equity](https://lowercolumbia.edu/diversity-equity/index.php).
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report:
*In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act of 1998, and as a part of the College's commitment to safety and security on campus, Lower Columbia College reports the mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, the required statistics, and other related information for the past three (3) calendar years. Lower Columbia College's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at [lowercolumbia.edu/CleryASFR](https://lowercolumbia.edu/CleryASFR). *Proclamation 21-14 COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement*Per Governor Inslee's [Proclamation 21-14](https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/proclamations/21-14%20-%20COVID-19%20Vax%20Washington%20%28tmp%29.pdf), college employees must be fully vaccinated. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation. Please reach out to the HR Office (360) 442-2120, or email us directly at [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need information on medical or religious accommodation.*
Declaration Regarding Sexual Misconduct
*Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants must declare whether they are the subject of any substantiated findings of sexual misconduct in any current or former employment or is currently being investigated for, or have left a position during an investigation into, a violation of any sexual misconduct policy at the applicant's current or past employers. By law, post-secondary education institutions cannot hire an applicant who does not complete this form. *Mission, Vision & Values
*Our Mission, Vision & Values define our reason for being, and provide the framework for planning and improvement efforts at LCC. For details on LCC's Mission, Vision & Values, see our [Strategic Plan](https://lowercolumbia.edu/strategic-plan/index.php). *Application Procedure and Requirements
*An online application must be completed for consideration. Paper submissions or emailed materials will not be accepted. A complete application must also include the following documents (attached or in the online application itself):ResumeCover Letter (Letter of Interest)Unofficial transcripts including undergraduate and graduate coursework Upon request, accommodations are available for persons with disabilities for the Lower Columbia College hiring process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. The Human Resources Office is accessible to persons with disabilities. *Conditions of Employment* If you are hired, you will need to provide proof of identity and documentation of U.S. citizenship or appropriate legal authorization to work for the duration of this position as required by the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1995.Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.The College is committed to maintain an environment for teaching and learning which is free of drugs and alcohol.*Lower Columbia College Human Resources
*For any questions regarding this job advertisement and/or department or campus culture, please call our Human Resources office at (360) 442-2120, or email us directly at [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).