Apache Junction Unified School District
Job Title: Senior Naval Science Instructor (SNSI): 9-12 Grade
Department: Apache Junction High School
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: Navy Minimum Instructor Pay (NMI)
Position Status: Full Time Position
* Applicant must have Federal Instructor Certification
* Four year degree from accredited College/University needed
* Applicant must be a retired Navy/Marine Corps of Coast Guard Officer - Paygrade CWO-2 through 06 (Chief Warrant Officer through Navy Captain/Marine Corps Colonel)
* AZ Teaching Certificate may be acquired after hiring
* AZ IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
Core Job Functions:
The SNSI shall perform those duties pursuant to current regulations, policies, and procedures as established by NSTC and Apache Junction High School. The SNSI also reports to the NJROTC Area Manager for administrative and logistical support. In addition to the specific duties listed below, the Senior Instructor may perform those collateral duties normally performed by and rotated among other faculty members, providing such duties do not interfere with the administration and operation of the NJROTC program. Specific duties and responsibilities of the SNSI include:
* Teaching the prescribed 3- or 4-year Naval Science curriculum.
* Instructing in military drill.
* Counseling students in the NJROTC program.
* Writing/updating lesson plans for the NJROTC curriculum and other lesson preparation requirements.
* Mentoring cadets and assisting with higher education or employment opportunities and goals.
* Requisitioning all government furnished equipment (includes uniforms, training aids, books, drill rifles, air rifles, andorganizational equipment).
* Arranging for cleaning and tailoring of uniforms.
* Surveying old and worn uniforms and other government property.
* Performing simple preventive maintenance of training aids and devices.
* Inventory control of all government furnished equipments/materials (including annual wall-to-wall inventory).
* Ensuring proper physical security of all government furnished equipment/materials.
* Planning extracurricular activities for the NJROTC unit (including color/honor guard ceremonies, drill team and rifle teams competitive meets, field trips, basic leadership training, ship cruises, etc.).
* Preparing periodic reports on program administration and logistics.
* Keeping current and abreast of new developments and organizations within the Navy.
* Assessing unit progress to assure NJROTC program objectives are met.
* Attending Navy-sponsored training to keep abreast of current requirements of program management.
* Taking courses of instruction to improve teaching abilities.
* Establishing rapport with school counselors and faculty members.
* Making annual presentations of the NJROTC program to students at feeder schools for the purpose of recruiting new cadets into the program.
* Maintaining financial accounts of operating budget.
* Preparing financial vouchers to the Navy for reimbursement of expenditures to the school, made in support of the NJROTC program.
* Establishing contact with civic groups to obtain their recognition and support of the NJROTC program.
Core Values/Professional Qualities:
* Promote positive interactions with students, parents, and colleagues
* Be responsible, reliable, and punctual
* Be flexible and adaptable to change
* Share sensitive student and staff information on a need to know basis
* Be a positive role model to students
* Adhere to District and school rules, procedures, and policies
* Teaching positions typically require: stooping, kneeling, crouching, fingering, standing, walking, pushing, reaching, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
* Employees may be subject to travel, body fluids, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, workspace restrictions, variant temperatures, and intense noise.
* Employees may be required to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pound of force constantly to move objects.
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination:
The Apache Junction Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including sexual preference/identity) or disability in its employment practices.