CIBM3 Lab Manager
This position performs a wide range of duties related to operations of the NJIT Center for Injury Biomechanics, Materials and Medicine (CIBM3) including facilities management, equipment operation and maintenance, technical support, and training of student users on research equipment. The position will also involve participation in experiments, data collection and analysis. Must have knowledge and experience in testing, the ability to develop experimental set-ups and willingness to handle biological specimens. This position will require the ability to manage laboratory personnel, work with students at all levels, and communicate with facilities management.
- Manages CIBM3 shared research lab spaces in coordination with faculty and lab personnel.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements including laboratory inspections, reviewing laboratory protocols, Institutional Review Board (IRB), and animal (IACUC) protocols of all research groups in the CIBM3. Overseeing all equipment and instruments function correctly and initiating repair or maintenance of equipment as necessary.
- Orders instrumentation, equipment, consumable lab supplies, and chemicals in consultation with CIBM3 faculty, staff, and Research Assistants. Responsible for inventory control including consumables (calibration gases, test samples, pressure and temperature sensors, cabling, etc.).
- Develops and maintains written laboratory protocols, lab manuals and preventative maintenance program for the CIBM3 facilities in accordance with manufacturer guidelines.
CIBM3 Laboratories Safety Manager
- Attends monthly Safety Coordinator with Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and ensures that all CIBM3 laboratories and facilities adhere to guidelines and requirements.
- Performs weekly safety and hazardous waste inspections of all labs and coordinates safe disposal of hazardous materials. Assists with lab safety inspections and ensures infractions have been corrected on faculty-specific safety reports. Coordinates tracking and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Monitors training for faculty, students, and staff on proper laboratory safety techniques.
CIBM3 Research and Outreach
- Assists CIBM3 faculty with proposal preparation and submission in terms of budgets, facilities and equipment capabilities.
- Conducts lab tours for visitors, sponsors, students and prospective students. Performs outreach activities.
- Serves as liaison to: Physical Plant and Facilities & Campus Planning, Environmental Health and Safety, Public Safety.
- General office tasks for CIBM3.
- Stays current with technology development and suggests purchases of new equipment.
- BS degree in biomedical engineering, biomedical sciences or related field. 1 year of laboratory research experience.
- Must be skilled in the technical aspects, best practices and protocols for different equipment and procedures of CIBM3 laboratories.
- Ability and willingness to learn technical laboratory equipment usage such as microscopy and molecular biology processing.
- Previous experience in or willingness for animal handling. Knowledge and use of tools, testing, equipment, materials, and standard practices that apply to research laboratories.
- Computer and IT literate, with knowledge of instrument control, word processing, data management, acquisition programs, and computational software.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions that pertain to wet-lab experimentation and analytical chemistry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to give instruction in a precise, understandable manner. Management skills, the ability to collaborate and work on a team, adaptability, and problem-solving ability are also required skills.
- At the university's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
- Previous experience in leadership, management, business development, financial decision making, innovation, and marketing skills are preferred.
- Ability to work with engineering applications such as Mat Lab, LabVIEW. Experience with microcomputers, microcontrollers, and data acquisition equipment and software. Ability to read and interpret sketches, specifications, technical literature, written and oral instruction.