Job DescriptionAbout the Company
Q-State Biosciences has developed an all-optical electrophysiology platform ( Optopatch ) for controlling and recording activity in electrically-active cells such as rodent primary and human iPS cell-derived neurons. The platform combines proprietary, ultrasensitive optogenetic actuators and voltage reporters, stem cell technology and advanced optical imaging.
Q-State Biosciences uses custom instrumentation and software to probe cellular physiology with sub-micron spatial resolution and sub-millisecond temporal resolution. Q-State technology probes dynamic cellular physiology with far higher throughput and information content than are achieved with manual patch clamp, multi-electrode arrays or calcium- or voltage-sensitive dyes.
Q-State provides best-in-class R&D for:
- Neuronal drug discovery,
- Development and validation of in vitro models of neurological disorders
- Mechanistic studies for pharmacological compounds
- Development of antisense oligonucleotide-based candidate therapeutics
Learn more at http://www.qstatebio.comSummary of Position
Q-State Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to join our Cell Biology Department. Research Associate will support and execute Q-State's cutting edge neuronal production and characterization by working closely with Q-State's scientific and management team to perform studies in a high quality and scientifically rigorous fashion.Responsibilities and Duties
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Execute and troubleshoot experiments that support high quality production of neuronal cultures for Q-State's multiple customer-based and internal R&D projects.
- Maintain and characterize multiple human iPS cell lines.
- Use transcriptional programming and directed differentiation strategies to produce various types of high-quality human iPS cell-derived neurons, including excitatory, inhibitory and motor neurons.
- Carry out RNA and DNA preparations from human cell lines and cultured neurons.
- Perform candidate gene expression analysis using quantitative PCR assays.
- Assess protein expression using immunocytochemistry, immunoblotting and ELISA.
- Assist with cell culture lab operations, including inventory, purchasing of lab reagents and supplies, and aliquoting of recombinant protein and lentiviral particle stocks.
- Communicate work progress via technical reports, powerpoint presentations, and seminars at internal meetings.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in biology, cell biology, biotechnology or a related field.
- Strong background in Molecular and Cell Biology principles and methods.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and DNA/RNA/Protein preparation and readout assays (PCR, qPCR, immunoblotting, immunocytochemistry).
- Ability to work independently and in cross-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in a clinical lab setting is a plus.
- Experience with human iPS cells and neuronal cultures is a plus.
- Experience with 96/384-well cultures and high-throughput screening is a plus.
- Experience with rodent dissections (CNS tissue) is a plus.