Academic Dean Job Description
About Capital Preparatory Schools
Capital Preparatory Schools is a charter school management organization operating a network of educational communities. Our mission is to build a path where there was none. From its inception, the Capital Prep community-our students, parents, faculty, and staff-have come together to create a compelling and meaningful educational experience. The Capital Preparatory Schools, located in Bridgeport, Connecticut and New York, NY provides with a year-round education in a charter school setting that encourages students to become scholars and agents of change.
Capital Preparatory Schools believes that all children, when given the right conditions and environment, will succeed and excel in their academic and social-emotional growth. This is achieved by blending elements of academic models that successfully support students from historically disadvantaged populations, with innovative approaches that get 100% of our graduates accepted to four-year colleges.
Focusing on the key attributes of leaders, our learner expectations are designed to develop students who are:
- information processors;
- problem solvers;
- knowledgeable people;
- responsible and empathetic citizens.
With the support of the Capital Prep team of skilled and compassionate educators, students realize their academic abilities, advocate for social justice and fulfill their civic responsibilities. As leaders of social justice, we expect our students to use their education to improve the lives of others.
The Academic Dean will report directly to the principal and serve as a member of the school's leadership team. The Academic Dean, working with the principal, will provide strategic and instructional leadership and will oversee teachers and lead students. The Academic Dean will play a leadership role in continuing the established climate and further developing the current Capital Prep model.
The Academic Dean will lead and manage all academic functions of the School. Responsibilities include,
but are not limited to:
- Drive levels of student achievement and learning through rigorous and engaging classes in a college preparatory environment, in adherence with the school's objectives and learner expectations, with a focus on social justice and global citizenship and access to a rich and high quality offering in athletics, arts, music, and theatre;
- Create a student support system which addresses the affective and academic needs of each student, in order to support the whole child;
- Maintain levels of staff achievement through a shared instructional vision that includes skillful instruction, high expectations for students, collaborative planning and inquiry, and the systematic use of data to guide learning and drive instruction, curriculum, and professional development;
- Plan comprehensive staff support that provides regular and ongoing opportunities for professional learning, leadership and career development;
- Strategic management and development of the school, including creating organizational goals and objectives, overseeing annual review, and-in collaboration with Capital Preparatory Schools-envisioning ongoing strategies to maximize the effectiveness of the school model;
- Serve as a liaison to parents and facilitate parent education and involvement, including reinforcing the need for parents to support the school's high academic expectations;
- Assist in making formal reports to the board of trustees and charter entity on student academic progress and achievements;
- Serve as a member of school leadership team;
- Serve as the schools testing coordinator;
- Assist dean of students in implementing policies and procedures for student dress code, discipline, and other policies related to maintaining a positive school culture of learning and achievement;
- Undertake administrative and instructional duties as the principal may assign.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Appropriate state certification
- A Master's Degree in Education and a minimum of five (5) years successful teaching experience;
- Agreement with the academic goals and philosophy of the charter school;
- Knowledge of current educational research and issues;
- Demonstrated effective collaboration and communication skills;
- Demonstrated effective problem solving, planning and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated effective training and presentation skills;
- Ability to structure own time and manage multiple priorities;
- Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and implementation;
- Knowledge of Common Core Standards;
- Commitment to accountability, including a rigorous student testing regime;
- Knowledge of the workshop model approach;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of adult learning and effective staff development practices;
- Exhibited leadership in working with professional staff, students, and the community;
- Demonstrated success in encouraging parental involvement;
- Knowledge and experience in using the coaching process;
- Facilitation skills;
- Evidence of data driven decision-making;
- Knowledge of professional learning communities;
- Experience working with Bilingual/ELL students.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Capital Preparatory Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.
This is a full-time, full-year exempt position.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire and promote without consideration to race, religion, creed, color,
national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.