Directs and provides nursing care to patients and/or residents generally in their homes and at the direction of physicians and supervises the day to day nursing activities of nursing staff such as LPNs and Community Health Representatives within a given service area by performing the following duties personally. Responsible for ensuring that all critical tasks are fulfilled on a timely basis.
- Maintains exclusive focus upon patients, the quality of their care, their individual needs and their medical outcomes without significant distraction by administrative and non-patient contact activities.
- Complies fully with all patient medical records and information privacy regulations, state and federal.
- Takes all steps necessary to fully ensure patient/resident and medical data confidentiality and security by all clinic staff.
- Ensures that patients and residents are comfortable and well cared for according to state and federal regulations as well as contemporary nursing practices.
- Ensures exceptional and very highly responsive nursing care for all patients and residents through personal actions and through all actions by staff members for whom this position holder supervises.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patients and residents.
- Observes patients and residents, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or physician of patient's or residents condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal while assessing condition of patients and residents.
- Responds very rapidly to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Assists patients with wound care, transferring and activities of daily living in a manner that creates self-dependency by patients.
- Ensures full Minimum Data Set (MDS) regulatory compliance while coordinating fully with other staff members to ensure same.
- Initiates a patient or resident education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient, as prescribed by physician and/or policy including patient and family instruction.
- May provide limited personal services such as making beds, patient bathing, feeding patients, administering medications, and ensuring residence environmental safety.
- Takes all steps and actions necessary to ensure full enterprise compliance with all state and federal regulations and medical standards and ensures that all employees directly supervised do the same without fail.
- Reviews physician's orders, lab requests, or follow-up needs with patients and residents.
- Charts patient and resident data in compliance with Medicare requirements while accurately noting abnormal findings and changes in patient condition.
- Administers specified medications, orally or by subcutaneous or intermuscular injection with 100% accuracy as prescribed, and notes time and amount on patients' charts.
- Collects samples such as urine, blood, and sputum, from patients for testing.
- Performs all duties only within competency, certification and licensure limitations.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of cleanliness and when appropriate, sterility.
- Receives and transcribes physician orders with 100% accuracy.
- Transcribes chart orders and ensures that all ordered medications are available as prescribed.
- Designs and participates in health awareness and wellness activities within the assigned service area.
- Coordinates referrals for patients through insurance and other physician offices.
- Demonstrates ability to regularly change priorities to accomplish all tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrates ability to clearly communicate, both orally and in writing, while performing all essential functions.
- Performs other special projects and duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited Registered Nurse program from an accredited university or college; Bachelors' Degree preferred.
- Registered Nurse licensure in Arizona in good standing.
- Minimum of two years of public health/community health nursing experience.
- Current and continuing CPR and AED training and certification.
- Arizona drivers license in good standing.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse cultures and specifically the Gila River Community and/or other Native American cultures.