The University of Connecticut is currently seeking a Histotechnologist (Academic Assistant 1) for the Histology Laboratory at the Connecticut Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (CVMDL), Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resource. This position is at the Storrs Campus of the University of Connecticut.
The Histology Technician is responsible for tissue trimming, embedding of tissues, routine and special slide staining, slide cover-slipping, microtomy, slide quality control, and tissue/block/slide inventory, etc. This position will support the service activities of the Histology Laboratory.
CVMDL offers a staff of highly trained faculty, technicians, and facilities to support our clients' needs. Our multidisciplinary approach is aimed to provide critical solutions for our clients including animal owners, Veterinary practitioners, local, state, and federal agencies while maintaining quality and compliance.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform routine and complex histological procedures from tissue trimming, tissue processing, embedding, microtomy, H&E staining, special staining, and immunohistochemical (IHC) staining.
- Familiarity with the use of computerized equipment and recording data. Routine operation of various histology laboratory equipment.
- Use of proper record keeping in accordance with a Quality Control Program or Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Understanding of and the ability to follow all pertinent Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Study Protocol requirements regarding all laboratory activities assigned.
- Master's degree with little experience or a Bachelor's degree with substantial experience.
- HT or HTL eligible candidate with proven experience (ASCP) including but not limited to standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the histology field: tissue embedding, staining, microtomy, quality control of tissues, and tissue/slide inventory.
- Demonstrated ability in organization, time management, multitasking, effective communications with a team of diverse individuals, and desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to adhere to the CVMDL quality management plan.
- Ability to adhere to facility and University Chemical Health and safety requirements.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- Able to work wearing a variety of respiratory protection.
- Willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) environment.
- Willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines recommended for persons at risk of occupational exposure of biological agents.
- Certified in HT or HTL.
- Demonstrated immunohistochemistry staining experience.
- Experience with digital slide scanning technology.
- Working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) in support of non-clinical studies.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, Access, and SharePoint is helpful.
This is a 12-month, full-time position with benefits and an expected start date of July 1, 2022. Initial salary commensurate with qualiﬁcations and experience.TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496261 to upload a resume
, cover letter
, and contact information for three (3) professional references
. Your cover letter should 1) describe the candidate's micro and macro social work practice, supervisory and field experience, 2) explain how the candidate's experience aligns with the priorities of the school and this position; 3) describe previous and potential contributions to promoting diversity through field education and/or service; and 4) address relevant minimum and preferred qualifications. References will not be contacted without prior permission of the candidate. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Potential candidates can address questions to:
Vickie L. Weidig
Search Committee Chair
University of Connecticut College of Agriculture Health and Natural Resources
61 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3089, Storrs, CT06269
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on July 17, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.