The National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) is committing to a transformational programme to address carbon reduction and sustainability with implications for our strategies, systems, processes and culture. To support NIHR's approach to net zero and sustainability, we are appointing to a new role of NIHR Head of Sustainability to develop and implement this strategically important area of work.
As the nation's largest funder of health and care research the NIHR has a mission to improve the health and wealth of the nation through research. Climate change is a major challenge to public health in the UK and globally, which risks increasing health inequalities, and the NIHR recognises the key role it must play in driving and promoting 'net zero'.
The NIHR is committed to supporting the NHS in achieving its ambition to become the 'world's first net zero health service' by funding world-class research and innovation, which will help deliver low carbon, sustainable and resilient health and care systems. NIHR's global health research remit will also help improve the health outcomes of people in low- and middle-income countries affected by climate change.
This is a national post hosted within the NIHR coordinating centre within the School of Healthcare Enterprise and Innovation at the University of Southampton, with the options of hybrid and remote working available. The successful candidate will:
What's in it for you?
- Provide senior leadership across NIHR on all matters relating to environmental sustainability
- Develop an NIHR sustainability strategy and lead on its implementation, taking forward plans for carbon reduction and sustainability
- Provide senior expertise for sustainability matters, supporting senior leaders across the NIHR to ensure sustainability underpins delivery of all aspects of NIHR business.
The University of Southampton is one of the world's leading universities. We are consistently placed in the top 100 universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings.
We offer a generous package of benefits, including:
- Generous Holiday allowance of 30 days holiday + 8 Bank Holidays + 6 University Closure days
- Generous Pension Scheme
- Excellent Family Friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Salary Sacrifice benefits including: AXA Private Healthcare, BUPA Dental Plan, Cycle scheme
- Employee discounts scheme
- Free On-Site Parking at University of Southampton Science Park
- Discounted access to University Sport and Wellbeing facilities
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
The University of Southampton supports flexible working, with hybrid ways of working currently being adopted. The successful candidate will be able to work in a hybrid role, with some attendance needed at our offices in Chilworth and other NIHR offices across the country due to the nature of the role. They will also be managing a team that are likely to be working in a hybrid way from our Chilworth offices. Currently, we aim for staff to attend our offices up to 20% of their time, however we are happy to discuss remote working and any request for this will be considered.
For further information or an informal discussion about the post, please contact Caroline Cairns ( email@example.com ) to arrange a discussion with Elaine Williams, Director.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.