Job Details*Job Location: *Mount St. Joseph University - Cincinnati, OH
*Department: *Chemistry & Physical Sciences
*Reports to: *Department Chairperson
*Position Type: *Part-time
*Purpose:*Manage, coordinate, and maintain department laboratory functions. The Chemistry and Physical Sciences Department consists of 5 faculty members, 1-3 adjunct faculty members, one laboratory manager, 3 major programs, 2 minor programs, various service courses, and 20-25* *majors.*Duties:*
* Provide for the day-to-day operation of the chemistry laboratories, which include preparing solutions and setting up equipment/materials for all chemistry laboratory sections as required by lab instructors.
* Maintain student equipment drawers for each course that requires drawers.
* Maintain student safety and medical forms for each semester.
* Implement and maintain the Lab Safety and Chemical Hygiene Plan as required by the federal government. In that capacity:
* Fulfill the role of Chemical Hygiene Officer for the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Sciences.
* Update the plan as needed on an annual basis.
* Provide personal protective equipment to students, faculty, and visitors as needed.
* Maintain Safety Data Sheet (SDS) files for all hazardous chemicals used in the Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Sciences Departments.
* Provide hazard information online and on containers for all chemicals used in labs.
* Provide equipment use information online for all items that are potentially hazardous.
* Order necessary chemicals, materials, and equipment for labs and research.
* Conduct an annual inventory of chemicals. Provide updated inventory lists to Campus Police and the Delhi Fire Department.
* Provide for the safe disposal of hazardous wastes, both in student labs and in the departments. This includes contacting hazardous waste disposal companies as needed.
* Perform other tasks as required by the Lab Safety and Chemical Hygiene Plan.
* Contact Buildings and Grounds Department when maintenance is needed in the Chemistry Department.
* Provide assistance to faculty in Geology and Physics when requested.
* Supervise and coordinate student laboratory workers.
* Monitor the use of glassware, equipment and supplies. Fix broken equipment when possible and order replacements when necessary.
* Maintain an inventory list of equipment in the department.
* Ensure recertification/recalibration of equipment (fume hoods, etc.) as required on an annual or biennial basis (see the CHP for details).
* Assure that the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau) license/permit is maintained and followed.
* Work with department administrative assistant in ordering and receiving materials.
* Assist with science summer camps and other recruiting and outreach efforts as needed.
* Contribute to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements, exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the department, help others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
*Primary Contacts:*Chemistry and Physical Sciences Department chairperson, students, and faculty, department administrative assistant and other members of the university community.*Supervision Exercised:*Student workers (laboratory assistants), 1-3.*Supervision Received:*Works under general direction of all department faculty; refers specific problems to department chairperson when clarification or interpretations of university or department policies are involved; plans and arranges own work. *Education:* Bachelors Degree required; Masters Degree preferred; field/area should be Chemistry or a related area. *Experience:* Related work experience in laboratory management including demonstrated ability and willingness to read and follow directions. Must be well-organized, meticulous, flexible, self-motivated, resourceful, able to delegate and to work alongside both students and faculty, knowledgeable of basic chemistry laboratory techniques, good interpersonal skills, and ability to hire and supervise student workers, computer literate. *Specialized Training:* Familiarity and working knowledge of handling of hazardous chemicals in laboratory situations and implementation of government standards. *Skills, Attributes**Customer Service*:
* Exhibit a student/customer first orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations.
* Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, student and faculty needs, and expectations; anticipate and identify faculty and student needs.
* Communicate, cooperate and collaborate with others to achieve common office or university goals.
* Willingly assist in various responsibilities as appropriate within the Chemistry and Physical Sciences Department and Academic Affairs Division as required during high service demand times.
* Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students/customers, faculty, and co-workers, maintaining appropriate level of professionalism.
* Demonstrate strong interpersonal public speaking and organizational skills, a sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity.
* Demonstrate strong written, telephone, and electronic communication skills.
* Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others.
* Maintain and demand a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions.
* Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem-solving.
* Accomplish tasks with follow-through to completion.
* Computer literate (see skills above); must possess aptitude for technological development and its implications for appropriate automation of office; proficient in Microsoft Office.
* Instrumental literate, to the extent necessary to perform assigned duties listed above.
*Work Environment, Physical Demands: *Chemical stockroom and laboratories; work with sensitive and hazardous materials on occasion; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; medium-level customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work; frequent walking from one laboratory or storage area to another; moving equipment and instruments.
To apply, please upload the cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
[Please click here to review the University's Non-Discrimination Policy.](http://www.msj.edu/non-discrimination-policy/)
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer