The WELL Literacy Instructor will provide basic adult education and literacy instruction in a workforce context to participants in the WELL Program at the TU-Center for Community Partnerships (TU-CCP), on main campus and remotely as assigned, within the Philadelphia community. WELL Literacy instructors are expected to be flexible regarding work hours and instructional content. Candidates must be knowledgeable of adult learning/educational principles and practices, should be able to demonstrate the ability to develop lesson plans, teach, motivate, and relate positively to adult learners; learn and utilize educational tools, websites, instructional resources and technologies effectively; successfully access and apply PA educational standards for College and Career Readiness (CCRS) and Common Core Standards (CCS); be knowledgeable of Philadelphia Dept. of Education (PDE) instructional guidelines for adult education and literacy. This position reports to the WELL Program Manager. Performs other duties as assigned. Employment at Temple University means much more than a competitive salary. Temple strives to maintain a culture of diversity and inclusivity and provide employees with opportunities for growth and advancement. You will enjoy a collaborative working environment that values innovation and creativity. Our health and wellness benefits are among the best in the region, and our retirement savings plans allow you to plan for the future. Temple University offers many opportunities for employees to enhance skills, gain new perspectives and grow professionally. For example, you can earn your bachelor's degree or an advanced degree through our tuition remission benefit or develop your management and leadership skills in one of our HR Learning and Development's academies. Temple University employees also enjoy recreational, entertainment, and cultural activities both on campus and throughout the Philadelphia region.
Visit https://careers.temple.edu/careers-temple to learn more about the benefits of working at Temple University.Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Education, Adult Education, TESOL, or related field and at least two years of experience working with academically challenged adult populations. At least one year experience teaching ESL, Reading, Social Studies, Science, or Math classes. *Math instructors teaching high school level mathematics (level E of the CCRS) must have secondary math teaching certification or a bachelor's degree or higher that ensures knowledge of all content required in the Subject Specific Program Guidelines for PA Mathematics 7-12 certification. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Required Skills & Abilities:
* Demonstrated experience and ability to teach, motivate and relate positively to adult learners
* Firm understanding of adult learning theories and practice
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to interact with a diverse population of staff, faculty, and students
* Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize educational, tools, websites, resources, and technologies effectively
* Demonstrated ability to access and apply PA educational standards for CCRS and CCS
* Knowledgeable of PDE instructional guidelines for adult education and literacy
* Demonstrated knowledge of adult educational, workforce development and career transitional services
* Demonstrated organizational, problem solving, and time management skills
* Demonstrated ability to operate standard office equipment
* Demonstrated proficiency with Internet, E-mail, GoogleApps, MS Office 365 (Word, Excel & PowerPoint, and Outlook)
* Demonstrated ability to travel to off-site locations (local & regional) that may not be accessible via public transportationPreferred:
* Familiarity with state and local adult education policies and resources.
* Familiarity with job readiness/workforce development, and instructional resources
* Knowledgeable of e-Data systemThis position requires a background check.
This position requires Child Abuse Certifications prior to the commencement of service.
This is a grant funded position.Temple University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.In accordance with the City of Philadelphia's COVID-19 mandate, all Temple University students, faculty, staff, and contractors must be fully vaccinated before receiving authorization to work unless they have a medical or religious exemption approved by the University. An individual is considered fully vaccinated two (2) weeks following the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or two (2) weeks following a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Individuals who do not meet the University's vaccination or exemption requirement will be prohibited from working until proof of full vaccination or an exemption is requested and approved. For more information, visit the University's Vaccines web page at https://www.temple.edu/coronavirus/vaccines.Compliance Statement: In the performance of their functions as detailed in the position description employees have an obligation to avoid ethical, legal, financial and other conflicts of interest to ensure that their actions and outside activities do not conflict with their primary employment responsibilities at the institution. Employees are also expected to understand and be in compliance with applicable laws, University and employment policies and regulations, including NCAA regulations for areas and departments which their essential functions cause them to interact.To obtain additional information about Temple University please visit our website at www.temple.edu. Temple University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains statistics, policies, and procedures related to campus safety and can be found at: https://safety.temple.edu/reports-logs/annual-security-reportYou may request a copy of the report by calling Temple University's Campus Safety Services at 215-204-7900.
*Primary Location: *Pennsylvania-Philadelphia-Main Campus-Ritter Annex
*Shift: *Day Job
*Employee Status: *Regular