The Department of Communication Arts at Washington and Jefferson (W&J) College, Washington, PA, invites applicants for adjunct instructors for the fall 2022. There are two sections available for Public Speaking: -COM 221: Public Speaking
If you are qualified, you may apply to teach both courses and they will be offered on the same day.Duties and Responsibilities
Teach one or two courses, on campus and in person, on a T/Th day time schedule. At W&J, each course is four credits. Class meeting times are 1 hour and 45 minutes long, twice/week. Education
Instruction responsibilities include:
- Minimum qualifications: M.F.A. or M.A. in Communication, Rhetoric, Mass Communication or comparable field.
- Create syllabus, (common public speaking syllabus is available for consultation) choose readings, conduct lectures in person.
- Utilize various teaching modalities.
- Administer and grade exams/assignments.
- Keep students updated on progress throughout semester.
- Have a strong interest in working with undergraduate students, and experience teaching at the college level is preferred.
- For the sports communication course, which is a course new to the department's curriculum, applicants with relevant expertise, experience or prior teaching on the topics of sports communication, marketing, broadcasting, or branding, are encouraged to apply. But, all applicants must have an MFA/MA at minimum.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
- Cover letter please indicate to which position you are applying to include:
- a short statement of your teaching philosophy
- how you would contribute to the College's commitment to diversity
- why you are able/interested to teach the specific course listed
- Curriculum vitae
- List of three recent professional references with their contact information
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.Application Instructions
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.Employee Benefits
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee's total compensation package.Getting to Know W&J
Washington & Jefferson College is the best of both worlds: a small-town college setting in historic Washington, Pa., with easy access to the bustling business and cultural districts of nearby Pittsburgh, Pa. just 30 miles to the north. Founded in 1781, W&J College is a private, residential liberal arts college that is focused on student success. Our dedicated, experienced professors are passionate about teaching and work closely with our students to ensure that they receive a quality, comprehensive education. For more than 200 years, our alumni have influenced change in business, politics, medicine, and the arts and sciences as CEOs, lawyers, doctors, researchers, writers, teachers, and in many other equally worthy professions.Celebrating Diversity
Washington & Jefferson College welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs who wish to participate in a diverse educational community. The College strives to be a place where all students, faculty, administrators and employees are able to live, study and work in an atmosphere free from bias and harassment. The College encourages civil debate and lively exchange of ideas in the belief that such exchanges promote understanding that will grow beyond simple tolerance of difference to embracing and celebrating the richness of diversity. Our graduates acquire knowledge and learn skills that help them thrive in a culturally diverse world.Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. Job Posted by ApplicantPro