Calibr was founded on the principle that the creation of new medicines can be accelerated by pairing world-class biomedical research with state-of-the-art drug discovery and development capabilities. Calibr, a division of Scripps Research, is a first-of-its-kind, nonprofit translational research institute dedicated to creating the next generation of medicines. Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Leveraging the unique scientific environment of Scripps Research, impacting translational sciences, Calibr has created a portfolio of drug candidates, and is shaping a new paradigm for advancing nonprofit biomedical research to impact patients while re-investing in further innovative research. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Calibr's drug development portfolio spans a broad range of human diseases, including cancer, autoimmunity and inflammatory diseases, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, infectious and neglected diseases, as well as age-related and degenerative diseases. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.The Position
Calibr is seeking exceptional Research Assistant or Associate candidates to join the protein expression team. This position will work within a small team of protein scientists and molecular biologists to produce proteins, plasmids, and viral vectors in support of R&D efforts on the next generation of novel medicines. This protein expression team will work as part of a team of interdisciplinary scientists to translate these findings into first in human clinical trials. Primary focus of the projects will be in immuno-oncology. This position will also have the unique opportunity to support a wide range of other projects at Calibr covering infectious and neglected tropical diseases, metabolic disorders, autoimmunity, and others. Calibr's open lab space design and collaborative environment encourage the seamless flow of ideas within and between research groups. This position will receive hands-on training in translational research and is expected to bring exceptional proficiencies listed below at the start. Wet lab work is within the scope of this position with responsibilities including molecular cloning, protein expression and purification, and biophysical characterization of therapeutic candidates. Development of reports and internal presentation of data is within the scope of this position. This position offers significant growth opportunity through promotion structures designed to retain exceptional talent within the Calibr family.REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- A background in protein expression platforms, for example, HEK, CHO, or E. coli, is required. Experience in yeast and insect is advantageous.
- An understanding of protein purification techniques is important. The candidate should have a basic understanding of FPLC, HPLC, gravity drip columns, and a range of affinity and capture technologies including SEC, IEX, mixed-mode, etc.
- A strong background in* molecular biology* including DNA isolation and purification, construct design, and assembly-based cloning is important but not required
- An understanding of biophysical characterization of proteins is important. Relevant competencies may include, but are not limited to, RP, IEX, SEC chromatography, Biacore & Octet, and HR-MS of proteins.
- Experience in upstream and downstream process development is advantageous but not required.
- Experience in medium and high-throughput protein expression is highly advantageous for this role.
- Outstanding organization skills and experience in preparing scientific and technical documents is important.
- Experience using graphing programs such as Prism, Excel, JMP, or Spotfire software is important.
- Experience in retro, lenti, or AAV based viral vectors is helpful but not essential
- Bachelor's degree with 4+ years' experience; Master's degree with 2+ years' experience; PhD with 0+ years' experience, post degree, in protein chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry or relevant scientific discipline.
- Industry experience is preferred, but outstanding candidates without industry experience may also be considered.
- Excellent ability to perform hands-on experiments, attention to detail, research, design, and organize project designs and maintain detailed documentation.
- Highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals.
- Able to collaborate proficiently and communicate effectively with colleagues and management teams.
- Able to contribute in a meaningful way to scientific discourse.
This position works in a laboratory environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process. EEO Statement:
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.