Investigator, Medicinal Chemistry (Upper Providence, PA)
We are currently looking for highly motivated organic chemists to join our Medicinal Chemistry team in suburban Philadelphia. Our group partners with program teams across GSK's research units to deliver high quality small molecules, from hit generation through late-stage lead optimization. The successful applicant will become fluent in these areas of medicinal chemistry while working as part of a highly productive team to design and synthesize developable drug molecules. The role involves, to differing degrees, medicinal chemistry data analytics, designing compounds to test medicinal chemistry hypotheses, synthetic organic chemistry to support both medicinal chemistry and/or candidate selection and championing technological advances. Key responsibilities may include
- The individual will be fully dedicated to organic chemistry and synthesis within the Med Chem organization, demonstrating scale-up capabilities and/or deep expertise in modern synthetic technologies and/or methodologies
- The individual applies the principles of medicinal chemistry, including high throughput experimentation and modern in silico design approaches, to enable drug discovery
- Job holders are able to react to emerging data and to independently propose a modification of plans for the area of science for which they are responsible
- Job holders use innovative synthetic chemistry to solve problems. In particular, they are expected to be regular exponents of high throughput chemistry technology to solve chemistry issues
- Job holders support patents and publications write-ups when appropriate
Preferred qualifications (in addition to basic qualifications)
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Synthetic Methodology Development, Medicinal Chemistry, or related discipline.
- Expertise in synthetic chemistry; knowledgeable in the application of new synthetic methodology and execution of multi-step syntheses and demonstrated problem-solving abilities
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications, patents, or presentations
- Postdoctoral experience and/or 1-5 years industrial experience
- Expertise in both synthetic methodology development and total synthesis
- High-throughput experimentation experience
- Data analytics and cheminformatics experience
- Track record of working effectively in a team environment
Values and Expectations
- High learning agility and curiosity to learn and adopt new technologies
- Self-aware; seeks ways to improve personal and scientific skills
- An ability to work with other scientific disciplines to drive results.
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and a focus on quality results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High learning agility and curiosity to learn and adopt new technologies
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.Where We Are
GSK's US R&D Hub is located in Upper Providence, PA in the Philadelphia suburbs. Just 35 miles from Philadelphia International Airport, the Upper Providence site is home to over 3,000 of our R&D staff. With the concentration of such a large number of scientists you will find a culture that inspires innovation and collaboration, emphasizes professional development, and maintains a strong focus on the patients that are at the end of everything we do. GSK enjoys the proximity to renowned educational and medical research institutions in Philadelphia, recently dubbed “Cellicon Valley” for the emergence in the medical research and biotech sector with the city and surrounding areas. Recognized in 2019 by National Geographic as one of America's Top Cities, Philadelphia offers a revolutionary opportunity for you to live, work, and play within a short commute from GSK.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class. Subject to approval of reasonable request, GSK is a modern employer and offers flexible working hours and conditions. *LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.