Are you energized by a challenging role in Infectious Diseases, where scientific demand is driving team growth?If so, this Senior Scientist, Cell Biologist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Infectious Diseases Research Unit (RU) at Upper Providence, PA. The Infectious Diseases Research Unit is one of the Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections, and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23&Me.
You would be responsible for conducting cell biology and immunobiology experiments to progress drug discovery projects targeting HBV and other potential viral targets. Particular areas of focus will be in evaluating target or compound in primary human hepatocyte cell culture with HBV or other innovative approaches in the pursuit of a functional cure for HBV. The successful candidate will be science driven, familiar with most cell biology and immunobiology techniques and instrumentation, one who assumes personal accountability and keen to learn through experience to advance in their career.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Design, and perform experiments using in vitro cell culture models to evaluate molecules and or genetic modifiers (e.g., CRISPR, siRNA) to validate drug discovery targets and/or progress lead optimization projects.
- Conduct pharmacological studies characterizing effects with an array of in vitro techniques that may include immunoassays (ELISA, MSD), RT-qPCR, and high-content cell imaging, among others.
- Independently execute laboratory experiments, conduct statistically supported data analysis, and deliver results in a timely manner to enable informed decision making.
- Manage research activities conducted externally at CROs.
- Clearly communicate study results and impact in written form and at internal and external meetings.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSKs values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity.
- Define, design, and execute experiments.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Master of Science degree (immunology, cell biology, virology, or related field) with 3+ of relevant research experience or a Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of laboratory experience.
- Experience working with primary cell cultures and technical experience with cellular/molecular biology and immunology assays (e.g. qRT-PCR, PCR, ELISA, RNA/DNA transfection, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry).
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong work ethic with desire to carry out independent hypothesis generation and testing
- The candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively both individually and collaboratively in team and matrix environments
- Assay development experience in biopharmaceutical and / or biotechnology setting.
- Experience managing external research activities carried out by CROs.
- Experience contributing toward the writing of research reports to support regulatory filings.
- Demonstrated experience:
- Primary cell culture
- Immunobiological assays
- Complex in vitro cell models
- 3-D cell culture
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience;and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether- all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat is ambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together. *LI-GSK *This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.