UP Professional and Support
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
SENIOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (PERMANENT PART-TIME POSITION FOR 15 HOURS PER WEEK)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following portfolios which he/she should manage independently while performing quality work. This will include:
- Research administration:
- General administration: collecting and distributing of research related information, organising meetings, taking minutes, record keeping of Departmental, Faculty and University Regulations;
- Providing administrative support for raising research funds, overseeing the compliance with deadlines for applications and reporting;
- Maintaining research displays in the Department;
- Keeping records of all research outputs and submitting articles electronically on the Research Information Management System;
- Liaison with the Postgraduate and Research Co-ordinator of the Department, the office of the Deputy Dean for Research and Postgraduate Studies and the University Research Office;
- Webmaster of the departmental website:
- Maintenance of existing departmental web pages and design of new pages;
- Keeping abreast with development of requisite technology, systems and processes relevant for website maintenance;
- General administration:
- Editing and distributing the departmental newsletters;
- Departmental evaluation: preparing information relating to research;
- Matters preceding: compiling bi-annually matters proceeding for the Faculty Board meetings;
- Updating the departmental display boards;
- Writing news articles for the Faculty newsletters and for the departmental website;
- Providing support in organising and advertising Departmental events;
- Community engagement
- Serving as an editor from time to time for the booklet on careers in mathematics.
- Assist, advertise and promote departmental community engagement initiatives on the website.
- BSc Degree or equivalent qualification;
- At least three (3) years' relevant technical experience;
- Experience in website design and/or maintenance;
- Experience in IT-based administrative procedures.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Relevant technical experience in a tertiary education environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good writing skills in English;
- Administrative and organising skills;
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, as well as e-mails, internet, population of websites and the implementation of IT-based administrative procedures;
- Advanced experience in web design;
- Typesetting by Mathematics software (e g Latex, Scientific workplace).
- Ability to work under pressure.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 18.75% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 12 August 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Mrs E Kühn, firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and Prof MK Banda, email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
By applying for this vacancy, the candidates consent to undergo verification of personal credentials and related information including, but not limited to, qualifications, criminal record, credit record, current and historic disciplinary proceedings as part of the selection process.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.