Associate Scientist - Bioinformatics
United States - Remote
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job DescriptionPOSITION OVERVIEW:
Clinical Bioinformatics & Exploratory Analytics, as a part of the Clinical Data Science organization, supports drug development and other business use cases across Gilead by providing data analytical, engineering, and visualization solutions to enable scientific and other business exploration and decision-making, including statistical analysis, genomic data processing and analysis, general machine learning and deep learning, data automation, and building on-premise/cloud computing, data organization, and other technical infrastructure. You will lead design, development and implementation of statistical, bioinformatics and machine learning methods that integrate large multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights that support clinical development, translation of clinical findings and other business decision-making. You will develop and utilize a comprehensive understanding of biological and related data and foster learning using data engineering, automation and visualization tools and applications to broaden efficiency with data accessibility, while enabling a culture of data-driven decision-making. You may also contribute to presentations and publications of clinical genomics and biomarker findings either as conference publications, journal publications or regulatory documents.EXAMPLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plays a key role in both internal and external collaborations in complex data analysis, including but not limited to genomic data, protein assay data, cytokine and chemokine data from patient samples, to support patient stratification and biomarker selection for Gilead's clinical development programs.
- Develops predictive models using statistical techniques and machine learning for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from internal, publicly available, commercial and Real-World datasets to enable target identification / assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease mechanisms, etc.
- Designs and executes data analysis plans, communicates findings and recommends follow-up actions in multiple settings, including one-to-ones, seminars, group and project meetings.
- Coordinates infrastructure requirements with the business and IT to support the biological and related data architecture.
- Develops and implements quality assessments, statistical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets, e.g., RNA-Seq, single cell sequencing, WES, WGS, etc.
- Develops data dashboards, visualizations and analytical tools to improve visualization, integration, and accessibility of complex clinical data and enable data analysis and exploration by the broader Research & Development organization.
- Provides expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry.
- Identifies and recommends continuous improvement opportunities that advanced computational methods can address for biomedical data lifecycle management, data integration, data security, data quality management and metadata management.
- Ensures assigned work complies with established practices, policies and processes and any regulatory or other requirements.
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. Please see the following for the qualifications and skills we seek for this role.Minimum Education & Experience
Knowledge & Other Requirements
- MS in statistics, data science, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related discipline with 3+ years' bioinformatics or related experience.
- BS in statistics, data science, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related discipline with 5+ years' relevant experience in bioinformatics, data science, or related field.
- Significant experience working with multi-omics and large-scale biological datasets.
- Significant experience working with a broad range of statistical methods, including machine learning methods.
- Strong programming skills in key languages used by bioinformatics, data science, and statistics, e.g., R, Python, etc., with proven capabilities to manipulate large and sophisticated datasets.
- Significant experience working with cloud computing systems, data management systems, advanced statistical software and visualization tools.
- Strong proficiencies in problem-solving, bioinformatics or other data analytics algorithm design, genomic and proteomic technologies, and high throughput experimental techniques, e.g., next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and/or their applications.
- A track record in publications within own field is preferred.
For Colorado Job Applicants:
- Demonstrated ability to be a fast learner.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable to change, to move between projects easily and provide support/expertise where needed.
- Proven analytical abilities with high attention-to-detail as demonstrated through past experiences and/or academic achievements, including statistical knowledge, such as probability theory, statistical power, univariate and/or multivariate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis, etc.
- Proven ability to conduct effective and efficient exploratory analysis on large volumes of data and identify key descriptive and inferential properties.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
The salary range for this position is:
$100,000.00 - $150,000.00
Gilead considers a range of factors, including background and experience, when determining base compensation. These considerations means actual compensation will vary.
Position is also eligible for bonus and benefits. For more information, visit https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.