School of Information Lecturer PoolJob no:
497895 Work type:
Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer Location:
San Jose Categories:
Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Temporary, Part Time, Faculty - Education/Library ScienceDepartment Summary
The School of Information (SOI) offers three master's degree programs, MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Science), MARA (Masters in Archives and Records Administration), MS in Informatics and an undergraduate degree in Information Science and Data Analytics (BSISDA). All degrees are delivered 100% online asynchronously. All communication with students and faculty is conducted 100% online.Brief Description of Duties
- Faculty teach in their areas of specialty. We have a very wide ranging curriculum.
For information on curriculum see:
- MLIS Courses (see required and elective courses)
- MARA Courses (see required and elective courses)
- Informatics Courses (see required courses and specializations)
- All faculty are responsible for effective curriculum preparation, syllabus and accessibility compliance, review and grading of assignments and work, holding office hours, texts and readings, overall support of student learning and professional development, and working collaboratively with faculty and staff to promote student success.
- All faculty also support activities and preparation needed to maintain accreditation.
- To ensure teaching presence in our online classes each iSchool faculty member must include one or more of the following types of recorded (video or audio) content for each week or module:
- Introductions to weekly/unit content and activities
- Regular (Weekly/unit) updates
- Responses to assignments or discussions
- Short lectures
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) , the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Applicants must have:
- An earned master's degree
- Professional or academic work experience
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Online teaching experience
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the "Order of Work," or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.Salary Range
- To commensurate with experience.Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
This is a continuing open position.The University
San Jose State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San Jose State University is California's oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San Jose (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley's public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San Jose State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Additional Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.Advertised:
October 27, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time Applications close: