Job Posting Closing Times:
Job postings are removed from advertising at12:00 A.M.
on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.Job Posting Title:
Faculty, Professional Nursing ADNJob Description Summary:
Responsible to prepare and deliver Professional Nursing (ADN) coursework in engaging, innovative, and discipline-appropriate ways.Job Description:Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and teach courses in the field of Professional Nursing ADN to a diverse and multicultural student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes, utilizing a variety of instructional strategies appropriate to the needs of community college students and the standards of the discipline.
- Participate actively in departmental responsibilities and departmental governance, including curriculum review and revision, program review, assessment of student learning outcomes at the course and program level, and other departmental activities.
- Evaluate student progress and provide clear, timely feedback reflecting program learning outcomes and departmental expectations.
- Serve as a mentor to students in the Professional Nursing ADN program.
- Provide teaching and mentoring services to students in a manner which does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected categories.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Support division and department goals through active and collegial engagement in decision-making and unit-level planning.
- Serve on collegewide and departmental committees, councils, work groups, and task forces.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the department chair, dean, and/or associate vice chancellor, vice chancellor, executive vice chancellor.
- Education provided includes time spent in clinical teaching environment.
Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom. Demonstrated proficiency using an online learning management system such as Blackboard to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, etc.)Principal Professional Standards
- Appropriate use of the college's learning management system.
- Meet deadlines for attendance certification and submission of final course grades.
- Participate in graduation, general assembly, and other official college functions.
- Maintain regular office hours to assist students and improve student retention and success.
- Attend and participate in collegewide, campus, department, or other activities and meetings.
- Recognize and reflect standards of civility and collegiality in all interactions.
- Comply with published college policies and procedures and meet professional standards for teaching in a community college.
In accordance with Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) requirements: Master's Degree in Nursing and current licensure; OR Master's Degree with 18 graduate hours in Nursing and Current licensure. SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline.
For specific requirements by course and program, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at http://www.austincc.edu/faculty/credentials/.Required Work Experience (Workforce Programs)
In accordance with Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) requirements: Three years of non-teaching, industry-related work experience within the game development industry. SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline.
For specific requirements by course, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at http://www.austincc.edu/faculty/credentials/.
Delete Required Work Experience if not a Workforce area.Qualities of a Successful Candidate
Application RequirementsDocument Requirements
- Ethics, integrity, and sound professional judgment.
- A commitment to establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with students, colleagues, and staff representing diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Dynamic, non-traditional instructional delivery methods to teach students of widely varying levels of proficiency and from diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Appropriate and up-to-date knowledge of the discipline and subject matter.
- Experience using technology as an instructional aide where appropriate to enhance learning.
- Documented experience with active and applied teaching and learning methodologies.
- A strong commitment to teaching in a community college setting, including teaching practices that reflect an understanding of the multicultural classroom and the benefits of cultural awareness and sensitivity in the classroom and the workplace.
- Commitment to a diverse workforce.
- Commitment to the comprehensive mission of Austin Community College and to the principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students with a wide range of skills and backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with varied and diverse groups from the community as well as students, staff, faculty, and administration.
- Strength in communication media, both verbal and written, as well as listening.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to maintain an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, including possible multiple campus locations that may vary by semester.
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Understanding of what it means to teach in a community college environment that serves often underprepared and underrepresented students.
- Understanding of systems of inequality and recognition of the role of community college faculty in promoting equity, equality, and inclusion.
- Other: See Commitment to Equity and Inclusion.
When you apply using the official ACC application, you will need to upload the following documents to your application:
1. Cover letter - Explaining interest in the position.
2. Curriculum Vitae or Resume - Your most recently updated C.V. or Resume (to include the documents below):
- Include the following as part of your C.V. or Resume upload:
- Statement of teaching philosophy. Consider these questions as you develop your teaching philosophy statement:
- What are your values, beliefs, and goals related to teaching and learning in a community college setting?
- What will make you effective in the community college classroom?
- How does student identity in the classroom affect how you teach?
- Statement of past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion in the academic environment. ACC is committed to ensuring that we are welcoming and inclusive of all students. Further, we believe that race, ethnicity, gender, and other human differences should not be predictors of success. Our commitment to equity means that we seek to give each student the support needed to be successful so that we improve enrollment, persistence, and completion rates for all students.
Please describe how you have and/or will contribute to the achievement of an inclusive and equitable academic environment for all students.
Official transcripts and/or certifications will need to be sent directly from your institution to:
ACC Highland Business Center
Attention: E.M. Breedlove, Employment Manager
5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752
Photocopies of transcripts and transcripts stamped "issued to student" are not accepted.Reference Requirements
3 professional references required (contact information only)Working Conditions
Number of Openings:
- Work is routinely performed in a classroom or laboratory setting.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, and reaching for extended periods of time.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
1Job Posting Close Date:
August 31, 2022ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.ACC does not participate in Social Security.
ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.EEO Statement
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories. Clery Act
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.Disclaimer
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.