Primary Work Address: 19700 Helix Drive, Ashburn, VA, 20147
Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. Our integrated teams of biologists, computational scientists, and tool-builders pursue a small number of scientific questions with potential for transformative impact. We share our methods, results, and tools with the scientific community. It is a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere that reflects HHMI's reputation for excellence.Summary:
The HHMI CryoEM Shared Resource at Janelia Research Campus is a world class shared cryoEM facility with a large and diverse user base. It serves the entire HHMI community for cutting-edge research in structural biology and cell biology. The facility currently hosts three highly configured Titan Krios microscopes, an Aquilos2 cryo FIBSEM, screening microscopes and multiple cryo grids preparation equipment.
The main function of the facility is 1) high-throughput high quality data collection on user-provided ready-to-image cryo grids utilizing either single particle or cryo electron tomography; 2) use the cryo FIBSEM system to thin down thick samples for cryoEM imaging; 3) collaborate with labs to cover portions or the entire cryoEM workflow from sample calibration, negative stain EM, cryo grids preparation/screening all the way to high resolution 3D electron density map generation; 4) implement and test new methods or new protocol to better help users.
The facility is now seeking candidates to fill a CryoEM staff scientist position.Responsibilities:
- Help maintain and operate various equipment from sample preparation system to Krios microscopes
- Communicate frequently with users to plan and execute experiments
- Work directly and closely with users to generate high quality data on user-provided cryo grids
- Troubleshooting hardware and software issues and problems
- Properly handle various samples
- Help maintain and transfer data
- Help train users and/or new employees
- Take a leading role in collaboration projects from sample preparation to data collection and image processing
- Participate in or initiate method developments, testing and implementation of new protocols
- PhD degree in a related field
- Experiences in cryo electron microscopy or structural biology is preferred.
- Experiences in biochemistry, protein purification and cell culture is a plus
- Good team player, enjoying an open, collaborative and mutually respecting team environment
- Motivated to learn new tools/technologies and to take on new challenges
- Willing to develop/test new methods/techniques
- Good communication skills and enjoy interacting with various users/collaborators
- Good knowledge and practical skills with computers and networks
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.Please Note:
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer