Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward in a variety of different ways ranging from conducting basic biomedical research, empowering educators, inspiring students, developing the next generation of scientists - even stretching into film and media production. Our Headquarters is in Chevy Chase, MD and is home to over 300 employees with expertise in communications, digital production, biomedical sciences, and everything in between. The work housed here supports and augments the groundbreaking research conducted in HHMI labs across the nation. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working here are making a difference.
We are always open to finding self-motivated and highly organized Lab Manager candidates for potential opportunities within our labs in Texas.Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. You will be contacted by a member of our Recruitment team if your skills and experience appear to be a match for an open role.
The Lab Manager role is responsible for supervising and performing technical and administrative tasks on a day-to-day basis in support of the lab's research and operational needs. This role oversees equipment maintenance, ensures adequate supplies for experimental needs, assists the Investigator in personnel management, manages lab safety programs to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, assists in laboratory space and facilities planning, makes recommendations for changes, maintains inventory of laboratory furniture and equipment, and serves as the liaison to both HHMI and host institution administrative offices.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day activities within the research laboratory, including such activities as ensuring operation of essential equipment, making sure adequate supplies are available for routine experimental procedures, reviewing budgets, etc.
- Act as liaison between lab and HHMI and host institution administrative offices on issues such as budget management, fixed asset inventories, purchasing, use of host accounts, etc.
- Act as liaison between lab and host safety and regulatory offices to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Develop laboratory guidelines; maintain procedures manuals; and/or evaluate new materials and equipment.
- Train incoming personnel in proper lab conduct. May train others in technical areas and complex processes.
- May carry out research project.
- May evaluate new techniques and technology.
- May plan for and provide working supervision to the work of Research Technicians or other junior laboratory personnel.
- Bachelor's degree in health or physical sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience. Advanced degree is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Three or more years of laboratory experience including at least one year of supervisory experience.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Operational knowledge of advanced lab equipment.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Ability to initiate and compose communications for various purposes in an appropriate style.
- In-depth understanding of organizational structure both within and outside the work unit, including the role of each position in the group and in other groups.
- Ability to develop instructional material for routine training purposes.
- Ability to review goals, analyze processes necessary to achieve those goals, and develop techniques and systems required to meet those goals. Often explores new areas and seeks opportunities to apply new knowledge to work.