Science Instructor - Upward Bound Apply Now Description/Job Summary
The BCCC Upward Bound Math and Science Program English Instructor works to create and enhance a culture of achievement and respect where high expectations and results are the norms. All instructors are responsible for demonstrating significant and measurable academic gains each year with the students they teach. In addition, instructors seek to spark students' motivation to become lifelong learners and independent thinkers. All instructors' actions must align with the Upward Bound mission, vision, core values, and education program.
- Develop standards aligned, measurable, ambitious goals to increase student opportunities for achievement; assess and track performance against the goal.
- Measure student achievement and progress toward the learning objectives and goals with formative and summative assessment tools.
- Create a focused environment of fairness and respect that encourages students to take risks and strive to reach goals.
- Communicate and enforce high expectations and standards for behavior and academic performance aligned with the BCCC Upward Bound Math and Science Program standards to create a strong culture of achievement and respect.
- Experience with the prescribed curriculum.
- Experience with current educational research.
- Ability to utilize current technology (Student Learning Management Systems).
- Experience using teaching methods to address student learning styles.
- Skill in oral and written communication with students, parents, and others.
- Knowledge and basic understanding of current technology.
- Ability to plan and implement activities for maximum effectiveness
- Ability to assess levels of student achievement effectively, analyze test results, and prescribe actions for improvement. Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment to learn. Ability to work effectively with peers, administrators, and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing with students, parents, and others.
- Exhibit outstanding classroom management and engagement
- Develop lesson plans in conjunction with MSDE - STEM Education standards of practice.
**THIS POSITION IS PART-TIME**
- Bachelor's Degree
- Secondary certificate in science
- Experience independently developing lesson plans for high school science lab equipment.
- Use of technology and science lab equipment
- Master's degree in Science and/or Education
- Experience in serving diverse populations
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410-209-6007.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.