School of Social Work Lecturer PoolJob no:
497704 Work type:
Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer Location:
San Jose Categories:
Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Health SciencesDepartment Summary
The School of Social Work is looking for qualified, enthusiastic, and dedicated instructors to teach courses in our CSWE-accredited Bachelor of Social Work (BASW) and/or Master of Social Work (MSW) degree programs (both the On-Campus and the Online/Hybrid programs). The BASW and MSW main curricular areas include: (1) social work history and policy, human behavior in the social environment, practice, research, and field education. The areas of interest in our MSW program include: (1) children, youth, and families, (2) mental health, and (3) health and aging. We also have a range of electives as well as specialized training in child welfare, integrated behavioral health, school social work, and adult protective services.
The School of Social Work at San Jose State University recently reached its 50 th Anniversary and is currently the largest social work program by enrollment in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our Transcultural Perspective is at the heart of our mission, and we are committed to social justice and to addressing the changing needs of diverse communities through education, research, and service.
Please visit our School of Social Work website ( www.sjsu.edu/socialwork ) and the SJSU catalog ( https://catalog.sjsu.edu/ ) for more details about our programs and curriculum.Brief Description of Duties
Lecturers are responsible for effective curriculum preparation and teaching of courses in alignment with our School's vision and mission including our Transcultural Perspective, syllabus and accessibility compliance, use of Canvas as the primary learning management system, review and grading of assignments and work, holding office hours, texts and readings, overall support of student learning and professional development, and working collaboratively with faculty and staff to promote student success. Lecturers will also support activities and preparation needed to maintain accreditation.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
Candidates must have at least an MSW from a CSWE-accredited graduate social work program plus less than two years university teaching experience in a CSWE-accredited social work program. In addition, required qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned;
- Evidence of effective teaching and mentoring;
- Ability to teach and evaluate effectively adult learners;
- Social work practice experience (required for teaching practice courses);
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be collegial and collaborative;
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the trends in the social work profession in the context of diversity and globalization, including specializations with certain cultural and/or language groups;
- Ability to teach in online and in-person formats;
- Proficiency with computers, software, and technology;
- Experience with multimedia and social media relevant to teaching
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the "Order of Work," or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.Salary Range
- To commensurate with experience.Application Procedure
There are two main procedures to apply. These lecturer positions are continuing open positions, and availability of courses to teach varies considerably each semester.
First, click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy and Approach to Diversity
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
Second, in addition to SJSU procedures, please complete the SJSU School of Social Work Instructor Interest Form , and also email Dr. Peter Allen Lee ( (see application details) ) with any questions or additional information.
To receive full consideration, applications should complete both for this continuing open position.The University
San Jose State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San Jose State University is California's oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San Jose (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley's public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San Jose State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Additional Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.Advertised:
September 21, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time Applications close: