SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.Job Description:
The Marine Transportation Department is currently recruiting for a non-tenure-track Lecturer 10 Months faculty position. Incumbent will be assigned various Marine Transportation courses as the needs of the Department, Department Chair, and their background allows. Participation in two out of three summer sea terms is expected and will be paid in addition to the annual salary.
- The incumbent reports to the Chair, Department of Marine Transportation and be assigned courses in Simulator Operations, Vessel Operations, Seamanship, Rescue Craft, Management and Maritime Regulation, Basic and Advanced Navigation, Ship Handling, Rules of the Road, Stability, Ships Construction and License Preparation. It can include other courses as well, as needs of the Department dictates and their background allows.
- Some ship and license-related classes contain experiential education components involving teaching outdoors on the pier, operating and commanding small vessels, evolutions onboard the Training Ship, and the Firefighting field. The candidate should be comfortable teaching in these environments.
- The selected individual participates in campus and departmental committee assignments and be active and involved in the Maritime Industry through publication, participation in regulatory events or industry conferences.
- Bachelor's Degree in Marine Transportation or a similar related field
- STCW OPERATIONAL Level License, Unlimited/Oceans with experience as either a Third or Second Mate on US-Flag merchant vessels of unlimited tonnage vessels. Sea service on foreign flag vessels for mariners who also possess a US license is acceptable.
- Experience on commercial vessels of any type, commensurate with experience, including military sealift, dry cargo and liquid cargo, bulk, container, passenger, offshore, etc.
- Current familiarity and experience in the international regulatory environment and SMS
- Management level Licensure (Chief Mate or Master) and commensurate experience
- Tanker vessel experience
- Experience in Maritime education and /or training or familiarization responsibilities, ashore or afloat.
- Graduate Degree(s) in a field relevant to the needs of the Maritime Industry.
- Endorsements such as Tankerman PIC DL, LG, Barge, DP, Crowd Management, TOAR, and any such relevant licensure endorsements which enhance the candidate's knowledge base and proficiency
- Graduate of a Maritime Academy
Additional Information:Classification/Salary Range:
- License may be in continuity, but preference is given to active licenses, including Medical Certificate
- Relevant United State Navy or United State Cost Guard sea experience will be considered, but the commercial experience is preferred.
The Lecturer 10 Months position is a non-tenure track, academic year appointment, United University Professions (UUP) position (September to May). The anticipated salary range is $60,000 - $65,000 annually and includes an outstanding benefits package. For additional information, please see the Full Time UUP Benefits Summary. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. A review of applications will commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.Special Notes:
Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.Budget Title:
Lecturer 10 MonthsLocal Title:
Lecturer 10 Months in Marine TransportationLine #:
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161 , no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.eduApplication Instructions:
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter with salary requirements
- Contact information for three professional references
- A description of their teaching philosophy and research interests, as well as a statement addressing how their past and/ or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion will advance Maritime College's commitment to inclusive student excellence
Returning Applicants, please Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edits your profile or to upload additional documents.