This website is AudioEye enabled and is being optimized for accessibility. To open the AudioEye Toolbar, press shift + =. The toolbar contains the following
The AudioEye Help Desk to report accessibility and usability related issues.
The AudioEye Certification Statement to explain the ongoing web accessibility and usability enhancements for this website.
The Player tool to listen to this site read aloud. The Player is not intended as a substitute for your screen reader.
If you are unable to complete this application due to a disability, contact this employer to ask for an accommodation or an alternative application process.
Assistant Professor and Director of University Choir
Full Time Richmond, VA, US
30+ days ago Requisition ID: 1082
Established in 1865, Virginia Union University gave newly emancipated slaves an opportunity for education, for establishing a community, and for gaining economic, political and social advancement. The University is the result of a merger among four historic institutions: Richmond Theological Seminary, Wayland Seminary, Hartshorn Memorial, and Storer College. Richmond Theological Seminary held its first classes at Lumpkin's Jail, a former holding cell for runaway slaves. The Wayland Seminary was founded in 1865 by the American Baptist Home Mission Society in Washington, DC. Two years later Storer College was founded in West Virginia, and Hartshorn Memorial College opened its doors in 1883 as the first college for African American women in the country. After operating independently for three decades, these notable seminaries joined forces to form Virginia Union University in 1899. Hartshorn Memorial and Storer Colleges would eventually join this Union in 1932 and 1964, respectively.
Located in the heart of Virginia's capital city, Virginia Union University, a Baptist affiliated private institution, is best known for its world-renowned graduate school of theology. It also offers a broad range of educational opportunities in the liberal arts, teaching, research, science, technology, continuing education, civic engagement, and study abroad. VUU's commitment to student success has included an emphasis on student engagement and retention, and close interaction between faculty and students, both of which produce a synergy among scholarship, teaching, and learning.
At Virginia Union University®, we consistently search for and create growth opportunities that forge groundbreaking research, state of the art technology, or top-of-the-line curriculum. We welcome and encourage new ideas and processes that positively impact experiences. We require the following core values. Spiritual Formation
, as a faith-based University, we welcome the regular practice of prayer, worship, silence, and mediation that matures one's relationships, values, and life purpose that lead to ongoing spiritual growth and transformation. Integrity,
we value our commitment to fairness, honesty, and truth reflected in each person's words and deeds while holding ourselves accountable for our personal and words and actions. Diversity & Inclusion
, as one of the nation's oldest HBCUs, we value diversity in thought, perspective, and embodiment, trusting that we are stronger when various voices, traditions, and experiences are present. We value inclusivity and promote a safe with dignity, respect, and compassion. Excellence,
we provide the highest quality of experiences and interactions while remaining flexible, responsive, and open-minded in developing and delivering programs, services, and facilities committed to exceeding the standards of what it means to be Best-In-Class. Job Description:
We are searching for a well-organized, trustworthy assistant professor to join our excellent faculty. The assistant professor's responsibilities include teaching a requisite number of classes, providing guidance and supervision to graduate students, participating in departmental meetings, and providing academic support to Professors and other faculty members. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with various departmental duties and providing academic support to Professors and other staff.
- Conducting research and publishing papers in academic journals.
- Representing the university at conferences and delivering presentations when necessary.
- Teaching and supervising undergraduate and graduate students.
- Providing demonstrations and supervising experiments and investigations.
- Answering questions in class or via email or telephone.
- Providing Professors and Department Heads with feedback on student progress.
- Writing proposals to secure funding for research.
- Attending faculty and departmental meetings and voicing concerns or providing suggestions for improvement.
- Ph.D. in the relevant academic discipline.
- Teaching experience in a university setting.
- Published works would be advantageous.
- Strong analytical, observational, and problem-solving skills.
- A good record of attending conferences and academic events.
- Excellent research, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for teaching and engaging with students.
- Patience, understanding, and willingness to help.
The selected applicant may be required to submit to a background investigation. VUU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.