Computational Science Postdoctoral Scholar - 96330
Organization: AM-Applied Mathematics and Computational Research
Berkeley Lab\\\'s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Scalable Solvers Group in the Applied Mathematics and Computational Research Division (https://crd.lbl.gov/divisions/amcr/) has an opening for a Computational Science Postdoctoral Scholar in the area of plasma simulation and machine learning. The project involves the development of alternatives to particle-in-cell algorithms, as well as machine learning based surrogate simulators for kinetic modeling of particle accelerators and fusion devices.
What You Will Do:
• Develop efficient first-principle algorithms for kinetic plasma simulation of particle accelerators and fusion devices.
• Develop physics-informed machine learning algorithms as surrogate simulators for particle accelerators and fusion devices.
• Develop high-performance machine learning packages that can be integrated with existing particle-in-cell or fluid-based codes.
• Work in a multidisciplinary team environment including mathematicians, computer scientists, and domain scientists.
• Write peer-reviewed journal articles and attend international/domestic conferences.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in Mathematics, Computer Science, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or equivalent.
• Expertise in computational electromagnetics or plasma simulation with at least one of the following experiences: particle-in-cell, boundary element method, time-domain simulation, and fast analytical or algebraic algorithms.
• Proficiency in a high-performance programming language including C/C++/Fortran and MPI.
• Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and fast numerical linear algebra.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab\\\'s Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work may be performed on-site, hybrid, full-time telework modes. Work must be performed within the United States.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=234138 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab\\\'s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.