A Non-Profit Professional Society Promoting Research, Education, and Awareness of Weeds in Managed and Natural Ecosystems
» Jobs » Assistant Professor - Precision Agriculture with Kansas State University - Agronomy Dept in Manhattan, KSAssistant Professor - Precision Agriculture with Kansas State University - Agronomy Dept in Manhattan, KS
Posted on May 17, 2022
Type of position Tenure-track, 12-month, Assistant Professor, 60% Research & 40% Teaching appointment
Employer Kansas State University - Agronomy Dept
Description of Employer Why Join Us:
Kansas State University Department of Agronomy is a national leader in agronomic research and education. The university provides strong support for research programs in Food and Agricultural Systems Innovation as well as Digital Agriculture and Advanced Analytics (https://www.k-state.edu/research/economic-prosperity/).
Location Manhattan, KS
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Benefits Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
Closing date of competition For best consideration, apply by July 1, 2022
Date position available beginning Fall 2022 semester (August 2022)
Description of duties
The Agronomy Department at Kansas State University is seeking an Assistant Professor to develop a strong, innovative research and teaching program in precision agriculture to increase agricultural productivity, sustainability, and profitability. Areas of innovation could include site-specific management of crop production inputs; digital and climate-smart agriculture; remote, proximal, and in-situ sensing technologies; GIS applications; geospatial statistics; simulation modeling; and advanced data analytics. Opportunities exist for cross-disciplinary collaboration as part of the university's strategic initiative in Digital Agriculture and Advanced Analytics. The incumbent is expected to develop a strong, externally-funded research program including the training of graduate students and peer-reviewed publication of research results. Teaching responsibilities will include AGRON 202 (Intro to Precision Ag Software), AGRON 655 (Site-Specific Agriculture), development of a graduate-level course in their area of expertise, and undergraduate advising. The candidate must be able to work in a multicultural setting and create an environment that fosters collegiality, diversity, and teamwork.
Qualifications sought Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in agronomy, soil science, crop science or related field
- Proven expertise in one or more areas of innovation listed above
- Record of innovative research commensurate with current career level and a strong potential for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Strong potential for securing extramural funding
- Strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Strong commitment to expanding and fostering diversity in the department
- Experience in leading or working as part of an interdisciplinary research team
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals commensurate with current career level
- Strong potential for instructional excellence and effective teaching, with teaching experience at the college level
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and provide leadership development for undergraduates and demonstrated scholarship of teaching and learning
- Experience in field research with agronomic crops and crop production systems
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and obtaining extramural funding commensurate with current career level
- Demonstrated skills to effectively use electronic media to communicate technical agronomic information
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
Contact for additional information Inquiries about the position should be directed to the search committee chair, Nathan Nelson, Ph.D., at email@example.com with subject line: Faculty Search.
Submit what Please submit the following documents (online link below):
Letter of application, articulating interest in the position and experience or training relative to the qualifications for the position
Statement of research interest and vision (two page limit)
Statement of teaching philosophy (one page limit)
Statement of diversity, equity, and inclusion (one page limit)
Full curriculum vitae
Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
Names, e-mails, and phone numbers for three references
Additional Information Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.