GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES - Seeking a Registered Nurse to assist with inpatient clinical trials for a minimum of 24 hours per week. This role will provide general support to Clinical Research Unit (CRU) nurses and staff by tending to study participants and taking notes on care and performs specific and assigned duties, which are supportive of the care process to the study participants under the supervision of the Charge Nurse and CRU Manager. Provides support and light general administrative support to the CRU and is an integral part of ensuring day-to-day CRU operations run smoothly. Creates a welcoming CRU environment, as the first point of contact for visitors by phone or to the CRU.
This will allow the doctors/clinical research coordinators/directors and other staff members to focus their skills and time on serving study participants' needs in order for the team to fulfill iResearch Atlanta's vision to deliver best-in-class clinical trials experience, care, support, and service to our study participants, their families and our sponsors.
SUPERVISOR - CRU Manager
DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Handles or assists with administrative activities generally associated with the conduct of clinical trials.
- Maintains accurate documentation: vitals, shift report, patient log, etc.;
- Reviews and reports any missing or inconsistent documentation on charts;
- Ensures a shift report is received at shift change;
- Performs and records study participant vital signs, and ECGs as needed;
- Collects study specimen according to the protocol which may include phlebotomy, processing, and preparation for shipping.
- Monitors the Nurse's Station as needed (i.e., answering phones, preparing shift report, etc.);
- Checks computer/email for visits, updates, and inter-office communication;
- Monitors all participant areas (including, but not limited to: Activity areas, Courtyard, Kitchen, etc.);
- Monitors visitation between study participants and family/friend(s);
- Replenishes CRU water/juices/coffee/snacks as needed;
- Assists with study participant admissions and discharges, including inventory;
- Ensures all CRU rooms are cleaned promptly upon discharge for new admissions;
- Initiates meal preparation and clean-up according to meal schedule(s) and dietary restrictions/requirements;
- Initiates and supervises study participant outings (i.e., bowling, movies, walks);
- Initiates planning and execution of patient activities;
- Provide a safe/comfortable environment for study participants;
- Adheres to safety standards for the CRU, study participants, and staff;
- Cross-train and back up lab staff in the collection and processing of UDS, labs, etc;
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES - This position requires the following minimal requirements:
- Professional and positive attitude.
- Effective communication and interaction with all levels of employees and patients.
- Highly proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of electronic equipment (i.e., e-mail, computer, fax machine, copier, etc).
- Skill in organization and problem-solving.
- Skill in maintaining records.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with study participants, families, staff, and the public.
- Ability to complete paperwork with precision and attention to detail.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to work independently as well as functioning as part of a team.
EDUCATION - Bachelors Degree required OR commensurate experience and satisfactory completion of licensure
EXPERIENCE - Licensed as a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner in the state of Georgia and minimum of five years of related nursing experience.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE - CPR Certification required; Medical Terminology Certification preferred but not required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS - Standard operating hours are seven days a week, twenty-four hours per day, 365 days a year. Standard shifts are in twelve-hour increments. May be required to complete job-related tasks outside of that time frame, in excess of a 40-hour work week. Requires prolonged walking, standing, sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in a medical office environment. Therefore, being exposed to communicable diseases and/or body fluids. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. This role requires the ability to work with a broad range of personalities, situations, and psychiatric disorders; therefore, candidates must possess the ability to resolve conflicts immediately and diffuse potentially escalating events before they occur.
This job description provides a general outline of job responsibilities and requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive. The job responsibilities and requirements may change at any given time based on organizational or departmental needs.