Postdoc Turbulence modeling for complex multi-physics flows
CO - Golden
Postdoc (Fixed Term)
.Hours Per Week
.Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Protocols
Employment at NREL is contingent upon your compliance with all NREL and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) safety protocols and mitigation efforts directed at the COVID-19 pandemic. At present, NREL requires all employees to be immunized against COVID-19. However, employees may seek an exemption from this requirement as an accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Upon hire, new employees must submit a request for accommodation or be prepared to provide proof of vaccination on your first day of employment. Those without proof of vaccination may be required to participate in weekly testing for access to an NREL site.Working at NREL
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation's primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
From day one at NREL, youll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, youll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.Our planet needs us! Learn about NRELs critical objectives,
and see how NREL is focused on saving the planet.Note: Research suggests that potential job seekers may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply. We seek dedicated people who believe they have the skills and ambition to succeed at NREL to apply for this role.Job Description
The High-Performance Algorithms and Complex Fluids (HPACF) Group in NRELs Computational Science Center has an opening for a postdoctoral position in computational fluid dynamics with an emphasis on code development and turbulence modeling for complex multi-physics flows.
The successful candidate will collaborate with researchers at NREL and other national laboratories, universities, and industrial partners in efforts to develop computational solutions at scale for real world questions and problems in renewable energy research. NREL has been developing several exascale codes that treat atmospheric boundary layer flows, internal and external flows in complex geometries and in the presence of reactions: this position will contribute to active R&D to improve the fidelity, performance and capabilities of these codes as they transition from development to execution to address practical challenges in clean energy.
Must be a recent PhD graduate within the last three years.
.Additional Required Qualifications
- Demonstrated skills in simulation and modelling of turbulence
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience with direct numerical simulation (DNS), large eddy simulation (LES), and/or Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS)
- Experience and research track record pertinent to subgrid scale models for turbulent flows
- Research-focused doctoral degree or equivalent research experience
- Experience proposing, conducting, and publishing novel original scientific research and developing original research concepts and strategies
- An interest in emerging architectures and methods to leverage new computational methods to advance fundamental and applied research
- Experience programming in modern C++ and demonstrated skills in modern software development (e.g., automated testing, version control, build systems)
- Experience writing, programming, debugging, and troubleshooting code for extreme scale computing hardware platforms.
- Expert programming skills in C++, MPI, OpenMP, and a working understanding of GPU accelerator programming using CUDA and HIP compilers
- Familiarity with foundational, statistical and machine learning concepts such as reinforcement learning, supervised learning, generative approaches, optimization, regression models, uncertainty quantification, Bayesian analysis, model selection, clustering, outlier detection, etc.
- Experience in data management on diverse data sets. Specifically, loading, filtering, organizing, transforming, and generally preparing large datasets for scientific analysis
- Sufficient software engineering expertise to enable collaborative development of production-quality solutions: object-oriented design, coding, and testing patterns; engineering software platforms and large-scale data infrastructures. Candidates should also have experience programming in scripted languages, such as Python and R
- Ability to demonstrate advanced, existing skills and experience in applying data science in industry, academia, and government settings
- Ability to demonstrate ability to interface between experimental and computational teams to achieve research objectives
- Ability to demonstrate, through prior work, an ambition/enthusiasm for pursuing novel research directions in NREL/DOE mission critical areas.
- Commitment to engaging with and the community of NREL postdocs from across the lab
- Mentorship experience and demonstration of commitment to inclusion; interest in mentoring graduate student interns
.Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Job Profile: Postdoctoral Researcher-Computational Sciences / Annual Salary Range: $69,400 - $114,500
NREL takes into consideration a candidates education, training, and experience, as well as the position's work location, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employees salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.Benefits Summary
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; short-term disability insurance ; pension benefits ; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer match*; life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance; personal time off (PTO) and sick leave; and paid holidays. NREL employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement.*
Based on eligibility rulesSubmission Guidelines
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
EEO is the Law (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_English_unformattedESQA508c.pdf) | Reasonable Accommodations (http://www.nrel.gov/careers/employment-policies.html)E -Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify |For information about right to work, click here (http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/crt/legacy/2013/08/13/FinalOSCPosterEN08_01_2013.pdf) for English or here (http://www.justice.gov/crt/file/813271/download) for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energys effort to secure an environmentally and economically sustainable energy future. With locations in Golden and Boulder, Colorado, and a satellite office in Washington, D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development, and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States.
NREL is subject to Department of Energy (DOE) access restrictions. All candidates must be authorized to access the facility per DOE rules and guidance within a reasonable time frame for the specified position in order to be considered for an interview. DOE rules for site access during the interview process are the same regardless of whether the candidate is interviewed on-site, off-site, or via telephone or videoconference. Additionally, DOE contractor employees are prohibited from participating in certain Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs (FGTRPs). If a candidate is currently participating in an FGTRP, they will be required to disclose their participation after receiving an offer of employment and may be required to disengage from participation in the FGTRP prior to commencing employment. Any offer of employment is conditional on the ability to obtain work authorization and to be granted access to NREL by the Department of Energy (DOE). We understand that COVID-19 may have caused delays or closures at offices, consulates, and embassies. However, NREL cannot make exceptions to work authorization and access requirements, and exceptions to these requirements are not being made for COVID-19 related delays.
Please review the information on our Hiring Process (https://www.nrel.gov/careers/hiring-process.html) website before you create an account and apply for a job. We also hope you will learn more about NREL (https://www.nrel.gov/about/) , visit our Careers site (https://www.nrel.gov/careers/) , and continue to search for job opportunities (https://nrel.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/NREL) at the lab.