Senior Scientist, Principal Scientist / Associate Director, Protein Science
La Jolla, California
Area(s) of expertise desired:
Protein Science, Molecular Biology, and/orAntibody Engineering
Avidity Biosciences is a publicly traded biotech company pioneering Antibody Oligonucleotide Conjugates (AOC™). AOCs combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapeutics to overcome barriers to the delivery of oligonucleotides and target genetic drivers of disease. We are advancing a pipeline of therapeutic programs focused on rare muscle disorders and other serious diseases. More information about Avidity Biosciences can be found on our website: www.aviditybiosciences.com
Avidity is seeking an energetic scientist with a background in protein scienceand molecular biologyto develop novel therapeutic antibody-targeted conjugates that deliver nucleic acids, such as therapeutic siRNAs. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of molecular biology techniquesand experienced in expression and engineering of recombinant proteins, preferably antibodies and antibody fragments and leading a team of research associates and scientists.
- Responsible for guiding protein-based oligonucleotide delivery programs in related therapeutic areas to further bolster company's R&D pipeline
- Lead and build a team of scientists to develop new therapeutic targeting agents and approaches for muscle and other diseases
- Provide leadership in areas of early-stage drug discovery that support the company's research, INDand clinical goals.
- Work closely with the leadership team to manage day-to-day research efforts across the organization and with CROs, academics and corporate collaborators. This includes developing project plans for current or new areas as well as communication of plans and data to internal and external parties.
- Support additional company process needs such as budgetary tracking and company visibility needs.
- A PHD degree in the biological sciences with strong background in molecular biology and protein science with 3 or more years of industry experience in protein / antibody engineering, expression, purification and characterization.
- Strong experience working in drug discovery setting with a firm grasp of typical timelines and resources required for each phase of the process.
- Strong knowledge and skills in molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, DNA/RNA isolation, plasmid prep, gel extraction, cloning, expression, and analysis).
- Extensive experience with production of recombinant proteins, preferably antibodies and antibody fragments (e.g., Fab', ScFv)., in mammalian cells.
- Experience in designing and developing stable expression and reporter cell lines
- Experience in optimizing protein and antibody SAR for potency, expression, and other properties
- Experience in evaluating developability of antibody-based biologics
- Skilled in protein purification techniques (Protein A/G, dialysis) and characterization methods (SDS-PAGE gel electrophoresis).
- Be able to demonstrate a history of achievement marked by attention to detail, scientific creativity and excellent organization skills that include a record of successful project leadership for early-stage research programs.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a history of productive interactions with academic scientists and external collaborators.
- Be able to work in a dynamic, science-driven environment. Be able to demonstrate an ability to work independently and collaboratively, while effectively managing tasks and priorities to meet schedules and project deadlines.
- Anticipate next steps, takes initiative, and is responsive to requests while consistently following through.
- Have excellent computer skills including Microsoft Products proficiency (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and the ability to use discovery data systems.
Education and Experience
- PHD in a related field required.