What You'll Do
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A self-reflective and self-aware teammate who is dedicated to aligning their work to Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A professional with a proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers and administrators.
- A youth mentor with the skills to help students navigate and succeed in a high expectations school culture.
- A clear communicator who appreciates that how something is said is as important as what is said
- Someone who regularly seeks out feedback and is able to implement at a quick pace
- A detail-oriented planner who can manage their time well, prioritize tasks, and manages up to leaders for support when unsure of how to do the above
- A graduate of a Bachelor's degree program (required), with prior school-based work experience (preferred).
- Create, implement, and maintain strong systems that support, monitor and sustain a school culture of high expectations and high support, aligned with school goals and vision.
- Participate in the creation of an inclusive school community by engaging in training, reflection, and dialogue around issues of race, identity, diversity, equity, and inclusion for our staff and scholars.
- Utilize and leverage scholar culture data to drive positive school culture and to inform scholar support plans
- Equip and coach others to uphold school-wide systems in support of culture.
- Monitor, manage and hold scholars accountable to the expectations of the DREAM Office.*
- Implement consistent school-wide management practices for all students and individualized management plans incorporating proactive behavior strategies, social-emotional learning strategies, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations.
- Assume responsibility for the academic and social progress of all students, as a member of the leadership team.
- Communicate effectively and maintain consistent, professional relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Set agenda and direction for Scholar Support Team meetings by scheduling and managing all details
- In partnership with the school leader, coach and support all staff on school culture skill development via professional development, weekly staff huddles, classroom observations, and one on one coaching support, as needed.
- Manage positive behavior programs and incentives, as directed by the school leader.
*The DREAM Office is a space for reflection and processing of disciplinary referrals. It plays a central role in supporting the academic achievement and character development of our scholars. Although scholars may, at times, seek a different location for emotional support, in general, they should not want to spend time in the DREAM Office. Classroom instruction must be maximized at all costs and the DREAM Office must be run in such a way that it does not facilitate visits that result is missed learning time as a result of a situation that did not or should not have resulted in a prolonged visit. However, beyond the DREAM Office's primary function, scholars should always see Deans of Culture as a resource and should seek them out if ever in need of support in or outside of the DREAM Office Compensation
Salary is commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, parental leave, 403(b) matching, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.