The physics program at Southern Utah University (SUU) is looking to hire multiple 1-year appointments at the rank of Lecturer or Assistant Professor, depending on qualifications. These are 9-month contracts, with full benefits, and the desired start date of August 16, 2022.
As part of the Department of Physical Science, the physics program emphasizes experiential learning through engaging course design, undergraduate research, and faculty mentorship. Internal funding is available each semester to support faculty scholarly efforts, undergraduate research, and course innovation. SUU supports integrative, interdisciplinary collaboration and encourages the pursuit of external funding sources.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to the commitment of the Department and University. Accordingly, the Department seeks qualified candidates who can contribute to racial and gender equity, diversity, and inclusion through service, mentorship, teaching, and scholarship. Further, the Department is keenly interested in diversifying its faculty and encourages applications from diverse candidates. Candidates from a historically underrepresented group(s) in higher education are encouraged to apply.
SUU is a primarily undergraduate teaching institution with a growing enrollment surpassing 12,000 students. SUU's location in Cedar City is surrounded by national parks and extensive state and federal public lands. Our location offers a variety of outdoor activities, including an extensive network of hiking and mountain biking trails. SUU is home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival and the Southern Utah Museum of Art. Cedar City is situated 3.5 hours south of Salt Lake City and 2.5 hours north of Las Vegas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach diverse physics laboratories or lectures (i.e: Elementary Physics, Astronomy, General Physics, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Quantum Mechanics) at the undergraduate level.
2. Manage and maintain laboratory equipment, and ensure its proper setup, function, and storage.
3. Work effectively as a member of the Physical Science Department.
4. Other assignments as determined by the department chair and the dean.
Proposed Education and Experience Requirements:
1. A Master's degree in physics with an open area of specialization and a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching is preferred. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in physics and exceptional experience in physics education may be considered.
2. Demonstrated teaching effectiveness.
3. Strong oral and written communication skills, leadership skills, and the ability to work effectively with colleagues in an undergraduate academic setting.
4. In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
A Ph.D. in any physics discipline or related field is highly desirable. Those demonstrating an ability to enhance our program and current offerings through unique skills or aptitudes including physics education and outreach efforts, or an experience in curriculum and laboratory development will be given special consideration. The candidate should be willing to teach in the late afternoon and conduct laboratories into the early evening a few times weekly.
Documents Needed to Apply:
1. Cover Letter
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three (3) references.
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro