The Department of Biology at Southern Utah University invites applications to join our growing university for multiple faculty positions. Each position may be filled as a tenure track (TT) or non-tenure track (NTT) appointments as Lecturer or Assistant Professor based on applicant qualifications. Southern Utah University is a primarily undergraduate institution; as such we are seeking outstanding, highly motivated candidates that demonstrate teaching excellence and are committed to the development of our students. Successful candidates will teach a variety of lecture and laboratory courses in the two-course General Biology sequence and additional courses based on department need, candidate expertise, and candidate qualifications. The anticipated start date is Fall semester 2022.
First Consideration Date for Applicants: 03/25/2022Duties and Responsibilities:
Proposed Education and Experience Requirements:
- Teaching responsibilities include:
- Teaching approximately 12-15 credit hours each semester.
- Teach lecture and laboratory courses in the two-course General Biology sequence.
- Multiple sections of these courses are taught by different faculty members in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Additional teaching assignments will be made based on department need, candidate expertise, and candidate qualifications.
- Professional service responsibilities are required (e.g., committee work, academic competitions, community outreach).
- Depending upon appointment, preference will be given to candidates with background or research interests that complement current strengths in the department and that can develop an active undergraduate research program that results in presentations and publications.
- For a Tenure Track appointment: A terminal degree (Ph.D., D.Sc., etc.) in Biology or related field is required. ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by start date.
- For a Non-Tenure Track appointment: A minimum of a Master's degree in Biology or related field is required.
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Prior undergraduate teaching experience.
- Experience using varied teaching and assessment techniques.
- Demonstrated experience and a commitment to excellence in undergraduate research.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with colleagues in an undergraduate academic setting.
- Cover Letter introducing the applicant's qualifications for and interest in the position (2 page limit)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy including your experience and commitment to fostering diversity & inclusion (2 page limit)
- Research Statement with emphasis on how to incorporate undergraduate students (2 page limit)
- One example syllabus for a General Biology Lecture Course
- Unofficial graduate transcripts
- Contact information for 3 professional references with one speaking to teaching ability (applicants will be notified before references are contacted)
Additional information may be requested (i.e. documentation of teaching effectiveness, additional syllabi, lecture activities, and laboratory activities).
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check. Job Posted by ApplicantPro