At Pfizer we deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. The Chemical Biology Team plays a vital role in this mission through enabling the discovery and molecular understanding of small-molecule therapeutics. In La Jolla, we are dedicated to the development of oncology agents that disrupt cancer biology or redirect the immune system against cancer cells. We are seeking scientific innovators with expertise in chemical biology, cell biology, proteomics, and oncology.
As a Principal Scientist in Chemical Biology, your research will drive a deeper understanding of the mechanism of action of our molecules and cellular targets. Relevant methodologies include but are not limited to direct measurement of small molecule target occupancy, small molecule-protein interactome analyses and target deconvolution and the identification of novel drug targets. using chemical probes,
You will work closely with individuals in the Medicinal Chemistry and Oncology Biology groups to innovate and develop the next-generation of therapies.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop innovative chemical biology tools, with an emphasis on quantitative and targeted protein mass spectrometry technologies, to advance portfolio projects.
- Enable new small molecule projects in the portfolio, through collaborations with biologists and chemists.
- Enhance the external reputation of Pfizer's Chemical Biology capabilities through publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Drive innovation in all aspects of laboratory operations including sample preparation, running samples on the spectrometers, data analysis and interpretation.
- Ph.D. in biological sciences, chemical biology, proteomics, or a related field.
- 3+ years of related postdoctoral and/or industry R&D experience.
- Proficiency in protein biochemistry techniques (examples may include subcellular fractionation, western blot, in-gel fluorescence).
- Familiarity with biorthogonal chemistry, site-selective protein modification, photoprobes, and activity based protein profiling (ABPP).
- A strong desire to increase knowledge of the key proteomics and multi-omics methodologies and tools emerging in pharmaceutical drug discovery
- Experience in oncology and discovery of small-molecule therapeutics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications from scientific work to date
- Experience working in teams of scientists to deliver objectives
- 6+ years of postdoctoral and/or industry R&D experience.
- Applied mass spectrometry based proteomics experience.
- Experience with quantitative proteomics data analysis, including Proteome Discoverer, MaxQuant, or equivalent.
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:FlexiblePfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development