Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
The Viral Vaccines group is seeking an immunologist/virologist to support research and development of protein and RNA-based viral vaccines. In this role, you will play a fundamental role in developing and implementing immunological and virological techniques for monitoring the immune responses elicited by candidate vaccines. This position also contributes to virus rescue using a reverse genetics system. You should possess a strong scientific curiosity and rigor and working knowledge of the basic principles of virology and immunology. This will be part of a dynamic team that values a strong work ethic and collaborative spirit.
You will work closely with the group leader, project teams, supporting lines and subteam members to drive the design and execution of in vitro studies, and take a "hands on" role to support laboratory activities.How You Will Achieve It
- Utilize molecular cloning techniques to generate DNA constructs for virus rescue. Develop and optimize protocols for recombinant virus rescuing with a reverse genetics system. Characterize viral stocks.
- Conduct and implement immunological assays such as cell culture, infectivity assays, hemagglutination inhibition assays, neutralization assays, ELISAs and Luminex assay.
- Maintain high technical quality and initiate problem solving for all technical issues related to the area of expertise. Incumbent will analyze experimental data, draw conclusions, and propose future research plans.
- Coordinate and communicate experimental results in a timely manner. Present experimental results at appropriate meetings with group members and senior management. Write progress reports and provide concise summaries of project status to team members and group leader.
- Keep current on scientific and technical literature and attend relevant scientific meetings in order to apply new technologies and/or scientific principles.
- The incumbent must be able to accommodate multiple projects or tasks, and work efficiently on assigned research projects.
- Satisfactorily complete all safety training in conformance with Departmental requirements. Where applicable, performs job responsibilities in compliance with cGMP/GLP and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Non-PhD position. BS Degree in Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, or related scientific field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in an industrial or academic research setting; or a MS degree.
- Strong understanding of basic tenets of immunology and virology.
- Experience conducting serological assays, molecular cloning, and/or virus research.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented.
- Experience with recombinant virus rescue
- Experience developing serological assays
- Experience with robotic/liquid handling instruments
Basic laboratory training in aseptic technique is essential. Ability to work safely with infectious agents. The capacity to work effectively in highly visible research programs with time-constrained milestones. NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development