UP Professional and Support
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
SENIOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (CONTRACT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Organizing & liaising ovary collection for pZP production with abattoir representative;
- Be responsible for obtaining quotes, maintain adequate stocks for all chemical and disposable items used in the pZP manufacturing process;
- Prepare all buffers required for ELISA's according to SOP's provided;
- Be responsible for obtaining quotes, maintain adequate stocks for all chemical and disposable items used in the VPML;
- Order, collect and pack stock obtained from OVAH pharmacy;
- Assist Line Manager in establishing SOP's & procedures for the setting up of the laboratory BioBank;
- Sample receipt, registration and storage and keep records of all samples received;
- Take samples to other departments and the Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute (OVI);
- Deliver and/or collect equipment and/or veterinary products to/from external companies as requested by the Line Manager.
- National Diploma in Biotechnology;
- 2 years relevant experience of general laboratory procedures (GLP) and biosecurity standards;
- Experience in Vaccine production and associated research; and
- A valid and current driver's license (essential).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices, handling of models/organs/specimens; Occupational Health and Safety;and vaccine production and associated research
- Computer literacy
- Able to work on own initiative - guiding oneself with minimal supervision and completion of tasks
- Must be able to manage stress
- Punctuality and the ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- B Tech Biotechnology;
- 3 years experience in Vaccine production with a focus on immunocontraception.
The remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 19 August 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Granny Maseko, Tel: (012)5298495, firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries and contact Prof. M Schulman, Tel: (012) 529 8063 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.