UK, US, Germany - Hybrid Wiley office (Oxford/Chichester, Hoboken, Weinheim/Berlin) or remote
At Wiley, we welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and embrace individuals who get excited about learning whether online or by book. Learning is for everyone, and so is our workplace. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion. It's in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
Interested in a career in scientific publishing? Wiley's Materials Science & Physics journals' editorial team, which manages leading titles such as Advanced Materials, Advanced Science, Small, Annalen der Physik, and the Macromolecular journals, etc. is looking for an Assistant Editor.How you will make an impact:
We are looking for people who:
- Gain on-the-job experience in many different aspects of publishing
- Be an active member of a global editorial team and collaborate with other editorial colleagues on a daily basis.
- Be responsible for editorial decision-making from submission until acceptance for publication - assessment of submitted manuscripts and organization of the peer-review and revision process
- Be involved in strategic development of our scientific journals - acquisition of invited articles, planning of special issues/series, etc.
- Have online as well as in-person interactions with our authors, reviewers, and editorial advisory board members - researchers from all over the world
- Contribute to (cross-functional/departmental) workflow optimization or portfolio expansion projects (new journal launches, etc.)
- Have a PhD degree in natural sciences, preferably in materials science, physics, photonics, nanotechnology, engineering, chemistry, polymer science, life/health science, or a related discipline; any additional postdoc experience could be beneficial
- Have a passion for science and its communication and are prepared to broaden their knowledge by working across a spectrum of research areas
- Have a good understanding of the peer-review process (for example, have been previously involved as an editor, author, or reviewer)
- Are self-motivated, diplomatic, and flexible, have outstanding organizational, time management, and communication skills, and have excellent command of the English language (written and verbal)
- Can collaborate efficiently and effectively on various products with many different colleagues in teams across multiple global office locations
- Are keen to travel and represent the publisher and the journals within the research community at international conferences and during university/institute visits
- Previous publishing/scientific news writing experience, an interest in data analysis, and experience with a manuscript handling system (e.g., Editorial Manager) would be advantageous
We are in one of the most dynamic periods in our history as technology, globalism and economic diversity create far-reaching changes in the world. As a learning business, Wiley makes meaningful contributions to research discovery and lifelong learning by helping organizations achieve their goals and people achieve success from education through their career. We may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: change with the times and adapt to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers. The company's headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Canada.
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We evaluate qualified applicants and treat all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
When applying, please attach your resume/CV as well as a cover letter
to be considered.