The School of Art & Design seeks a full-time faculty member in Illustration and Interactive Media. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional content creator who is actively engaged in the creation of professional time-based and game development. Experience teaching college-level 3D animation and/or game design courses is highly preferred.
Conceptually, the ideal candidate will be a seasoned professional who understands the history, principles, and cultural context of media design in the age of digital media. The candidate's portfolio must demonstrate an advanced understanding of the pre-production, production, and post-production of both animation and game design and development.
In addition, proficiency in and a broad-based understanding of current industry software and programming languages are required. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to teach on both Mac and PC platforms as well as demonstrate proficiency in software associated with a wide range of industry-standard software and development environments.Requirements:
Specific Competencies :
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:Globalism
- Demonstrate an understanding of how visual communicators can educate and influence public perception and beliefs that influence global issues with national and international impact.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the world and national history, as well as current events, as a context and perspective for effective decision-making in the role of visual communicator.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the benefits and opportunities of networking with the New York City Creative District and incorporate distinguished guest speakers and class field trips to local museums, galleries, and other educational resources as means of enhancing class material and student learning experiences.
- Demonstrate ability to develop student awareness of cultural diversity in the classroom environment, and the need to respect all racial, ethnic, religious, and social groups, in support of diversity and equity, in the classroom as well as in professional circles.
- Demonstrate an ability to design engrossing class assignments and other learning experiences to enhance information literacy and research skills, as well as challenge preconceptions, foster experimentation, cultivate critical thinking and advanced problem-solving abilities, and inspire students' creativity, innovation, and imagination.
- Demonstrate an ability to teach students how to integrate, synthesize, and utilize information and skills from various disciplines including photography, design, animation, film, writing, social sciences, world history, art history, and internet resources, in the process of the creation of exciting and effective visual communication projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to be an effective verbal communicator and speaker who conducts enlightening and thought-provoking lectures, presentations, demonstrations, and critiques, as well as applies current communication, research, and promotional resources, strategies, and technologies.
- Generate excitement and passion for teaching, creating, and learning that inspires students to experiment, innovate and create.
- Integrate knowledge of industry and entrepreneurship in classes, as well as personal career development strategies and experiences, to support and encourage students' creative and professional interest and progress.
- Demonstrate an ability to formulate and create a clear and concise class syllabus to enable and empower students to maximize their potential academically and creatively.
- Demonstrate ability to incorporate innovative technology in instructional pedagogy.
- Demonstrate incorporation of industry developments, including technology updates and applications into the curriculum.
- Demonstrate ability to serve as a mentor, tutor, and/or counselor to students requiring special/focused attention, support, or guidance when addressing academic and/or personal issues.
- Demonstrate continued involvement in professional and scholarly work and activities related to the visual communication industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding and mastery of established and emerging industry practices and their relevance to the visual communication industry.
- Demonstrate expertise in the application of entrepreneurial skills, a comprehensive understanding of copyright and other laws as they relate to intellectual property, as well as current knowledge of billing practices, asset management, marketing, and promotional protocols.
- Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience as an animator and/or game developer. Candidates must present a currently active professional record demonstrating agility in adapting to new modes of visual and interactive storytelling and an aptitude for adopting new technologies.
- 3D Modeling and Animation- Expert knowledge of Maya (or similar 3D program). 5 years of professional experience using Maya (or similar) in production with a portfolio demonstrating a thorough knowledge of the modeling and animation pipeline in production for both animation and real-time rendering for interactive projects such as games.
- Real-time Animation Production- Expert with knowledge of production pipelines and team-based workflows. Non-linear production techniques, multi-pass rendering, real-time pre-vis, and rendering techniques utilizing game engines such as Unity, Unreal Engine, and other emerging technologies.
- Programming- Five years of documented developer credentials in game development. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to use different APIs to teach core programming concepts as well as the ability to demonstrate how those concepts can be applied in different areas of game design and development.
- A terminal degree in animation, game design, or other visual art discipline. College, professional certificate, and/or workshop teaching is also highly preferred.
- Candidate portfolio that demonstrates thorough knowledge of various animation and character set-up techniques including rigging and dynamics.
- Prior teaching experience or Autodesk (publisher) Instructor Certification preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be any combination of the classroom, lab, and/or office space. Certain roles may be required to handle machinery and chemicals. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less. Additional Information:
This faculty position will begin Fall 2023
. Review of applications will commence in September 2022 and continue until the position is filled. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Link to FIT Benefits for Full-Time Faculty
Salary Schedule (page 72) Application Instructions:
For consideration, please provide:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position
- Curriculum Vitae/Professional Resume
- Digital portfolio or a URL to a portfolio website. The portfolio should include both professional work examples and samples of 3D animation and game design projects from college-level classes taught within the past 5 years
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu .
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at .
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, .
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Illustration and Interactive Media Department, School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for more than 75 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Animation, Interactive Media, & Game Design BFA program is housed in the Illustration and Interactive Media department and offers a comprehensive curriculum of industry-inspired courses rooted in a real-world production environment, including character development, storyboarding, modeling, animation, lighting, camera, compositing, sound editing, music, and special effects, as well as the exploration of various cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality (VR), and augmented reality (AR). The creative outcomes include 2D animation, 3D animation, game design, and interactive and immersive environments.
This program is designed to stay on the leading edge of time-based and interactive design and production.