The Chemical Sciences and Engineering (CSE) Division of Argonne National Laboratory is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Appointee.
The successful candidate will perform innovative research measuring battery materials at controlled thermal conditions (i.e. during synthesis or recycling) and operation. These studies will focus on lithium cathode chemistries and thermal processes for electrode recycling and the development of x-ray mapping techniques for lead acid batteries during operation.
* Considerable knowledge of powder diffraction measurement and analysis, ideally both lab-based and synchrotron. Background in pair distribution function and x-ray absorption methods also relevant
* Experience designing and testing in situ cells for battery characterization
* Knowledge of materials science and mathematical techniques and computer programming for data analysis
* Skill in working interactively and productively in a multidisciplinary environment and good ability to work independently
* Good skill in oral and written communication with a record of publication and external recognition in relevant areas
* This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in analytical chemistry, materials science, or chemical engineering at the Ph.D. degree level with zero to three years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience
* This position may require the ability to travel for work at out-of-state synchrotron facilities when required
Long-Term (Fixed Term)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.