Title: Nursing Faculty
Number of Positions: 2
Position #: 300170 & 300730
Type of Appointment: Full-Time Tenure Track
FLSA Status: Exempt
Required Documents Needed to Upload at Time of Application:
* Unofficial Transcripts
* Three Professional References (See below)
Reference check requirements:
* Non-supervisory roles: three (3) current or former supervisors
* Personal references (friends, co-workers, clergy, customers, relatives) are not considered acceptable references
About Pellissippi State Community College
Pellissippi State Community College is one of 40 institutions in the Tennessee Board of Regents system. TBR is the governing board of the College System of Tennessee, offering more than 400 programs of study at the state's 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of applied technology and the online TN eCampus. The college serves an average of 10,000 students, making it the largest community college in Tennessee by enrollment. Pellissippi State Community College offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement programs, time off including annual and sick leave, and much more.
In 2018, Pellissippi State became a member of an Achieve the Dream (ATD) three-year cohort adopting a theme of Start Strong, Stay Strong, Finish Strong for our work. Achieve the Dream has partnered with the program Integrated Student Experience at Pellissippi State (Insteps) to improve the fall-to-fall retention rates for full-time and part-time students by 13% in the next five years. Our vision is to ensure every student who attends Pellissippi State will develop a sense of belonging and confidence in their ability to succeed academically, grow intellectually, and make timely progress towards achieving their educational and vocational goals. If this is something that aligns with your values, we encourage you to apply.
Culture and Diversity
Knoxville claims a wide range of forward thinking national and international talents. The scholarly influence on the Knoxville metropolitan area bred literary greats including James Agee, Cormac McCarthy, and Nikki Giovanni. Knoxville is home to one of the largest sculptures dedicated to an African American in the country. Located in Haley Heritage Square is a 13-foot high bronze statue of author and Pulitzer Prize winner Alex Haley who chose to spend the last several years of his life in Knoxville. Renowned artists Beauford Delaney and Joseph Delaney hailed from Knoxville. Musicians Roy Acuff, Chet Atkins, the Everly Brothers, and RB Morris called Knoxville home during their careers. Women's suffragist Lizzie Crozier French was active in the ratification of the 19th amendment and was born and raised in Knoxville.
The lasting influence of these artists and activists leaves the Knoxville area as a welcoming area to live and work. More about the area and support groups can be found at Visit Knoxville https://www.visitknoxville.com, the Beck Cultural Exchange Center https://www.beckcenter.net, the Knoxville Urban League https://thekaul.org, Knoxville City https://knoxvilletn.gov, Knox County https://knoxcounty.org, My Knox Village http://myknoxvillage.com/business-directory/wpbdp_category/special-needsdisability-services/, Knox Pride https://knoxpride.com/equality, Centro Hispano de East TN https://www.centrohispanotn.org, and Knoxville chamber https://www.knoxvillechamber.com
JOB OBJECTIVE: This is a tenure track position. Provide guidance, instruction and leadership to registered nursing students enrolled in the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AASN) program at the assigned program site. Assist with evaluation, scheduling, and advising of students. Provide classroom, lab, and clinical instruction to students enrolled in the AASN program utilizing team teaching methodology in an academic environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Instruction in theory and clinical practice in Fundamentals or Medical SurgicalNursing and one or more of the following nursing areas:
o Emergency Nursing, Critical Care, Pediatrics, Mental Health, Women's Health or Gerontology/Geriatrics or other nursing practice specialty.
* Instruction may include:
o All aspects of nursing care, including but not limited to; personal hygiene, client abuse, human sexuality, cultural diversity, ethnicity, nutrition (nursing, therapeutic aspects), pharmacology, legal, social and ethical aspects of nursing, and nursing leadership and management.
* Assist in the direction of student activities ordinarily associated with an instructional program on the community college or university level.
* Participation in departmental activities associated with the instructional program.
* Instruct and supervise R.N. nursing students in the clinical agency, laboratory, simulation, and community settings.
* Function under the direction of the Nursing Program Coordinators, the Chair of Nursing, and the Dean of Health Sciences.
* Communicate clearly and professionally with students and colleagues.
* Work effectively with traditional and non-traditional students, including but not limited to the culturally and ethnically diverse.
* Demonstrate a willingness and commitment to extra-curricular responsibilities on behalf of the nursing program, college and district.
* Participate in professional organizations related to nursing and teaching.
* Adapt quickly to changes in the nursing program.
* Apply theories and principles of learning to instruction.
* Adapt instruction to the entry level knowledge and skills of students.
* Recommend course and program changes to the Academic Department Chair and Dean when appropriate.
* Develop syllabi which meet college requirements, the Tennessee Board of Regents Common Curriculum for Nursing, and student needs.
* Use alternative instructional strategies where appropriate.
* Inform students of special instructional resources located in the Educational Resources Center and/or the Learning and Testing Center.
* Orient students to objectives and procedures before beginning instruction.
* Establish and communicate clearly defined grading procedures and standards.
* Use evaluations to revise and update content, objectives, and instructional strategies.
* Give examinations and other types of evaluations necessary to determine student level of performance and understanding.
* Keep students aware of their progress in the course through consistent use of the learning management system gradebook, and ongoing communication. Perform record-keeping responsibilities related to teaching and advising.
* Respond in a timely fashion to all reasonable deadlines.
Note: The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
Be available to students by maintaining office hours that are reasonably convenient. Post and adhere to required hours, whether virtual or in the office. Be knowledgeable of the College policies, procedures, and assistance available to students. Assist advisees with the scheduling of classes. Monitor the academic progress of advisees. Hold conferences with students as needed.
Serve on committees and task forces as appointed by the President and Dean of Health Sciences. Use professional knowledge and skills to contribute to local and professional community activities whenever appropriate. Attend faculty meetings as scheduled. Contribute to the advancement of college goals through appropriate individual goals.
Professional Development (Teaching and Discipline)
Participate in professional development. Other objective to be agreed upon by faculty members and immediate supervisors in the development of personal, departmental, and divisional objectives.
A. All full-time and part-time faculty must have completed at least 18 graduate semester hours in their teaching field and hold a master's degree in nursing from a regionally accredited college/university.
B. Endorsed with appropriate credentials of an unencumbered RN licensure in the State of Tennessee, American Heart Association CPR certification for healthcare professionals, advanced preparation and experience in a nursing practice specialty area.
A. One-year teaching experience in a pre-licensure program required.
B. Three years' related work experience as an RN preferred.
C. Acute Care Clinical Experience (within the past 3 years) preferred.
B. This employee should have strong interpersonal and communication skills, have good organizational skills, and be capable of handling multiple projects at one time.
C. To ensure that all faculty are proficient in oral and written English, the following guidelines are to be used during the selection process to evaluate candidates:
a. Ability to speak and write English clearly
b. Ability to understand written and spoken English
c. Ability to communicate effectively in an academic environment (for example, previous successful employment in an academic institution).
JOB LOCATION: The primary job location may start at the Strawberry Plains Campus, Magnolia Avenue Campus or the Blount County Campus; however, the instructor may be assigned classes at other sites, and be requested to teach in any area of the nursing program to meet the needs of the students and the nursing program.
EQUIPMENT: The primary job location will provide an office for the faculty member. This location may change based on the needs of the nursing program and students.
Full-time Employment Benefits:
* Insurance Options Health, dental, vision, life, short/long-term disability, FSA/HSA Wellness Incentive Program, if enrolled in health plan
* Educational Assistance Fee Waiver Spouse/Dependent discounts Audit/Non-Credit Reimbursement Program
* Employee Assistance Program
* Retirement options Tennessee traditional pension plan option (TCRS) 401k with $50 company match/457/403b
* Employee Discount program with over 900+companies
* 13 Paid Holidays/Year Includes paid days off the last week of December
* Sick Leave Bank
* Longevity Pay
* Many opportunities for professional development
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Work experience that is not listed on the application will not be considered towards compensation. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
If you have any problems or questions please contact Human Resources at Pellissippi State Community College's Human Resource Office at 865-694-6607 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in this position, click on the link to the left to apply.
Apply NowShare Save Job