The Frederick County Division of Parks & Recreation is committed to the highest level of care of our natural and historic resources while making the park facilities and recreational programs available to all. We believe that the benefits of parks & recreation are far reaching and vital to each and every individual, family, and community in Frederick County.
The Recreation Department seeks to enhance the quality of life of county residents by providing innovative activities and programs that meet the recreational needs of Frederick County communities. We encourage participation in a variety of recreational opportunities that foster enjoyment and lifelong learning.http://www.recreater.com/
Non-exempt; part-time; up to 2-10 hours per week; weekday evenings during 6 to 8 week program sessions; no-benefits
Instructors will teach a variety of structured sports skills and techniques (beginner through advanced) to individuals 4 years to 12 years old. Sports include but not limited to:basketball, flag-football, floor hockey, golf, pickleball, t-ball, soccer, multi sports, tennis and volleyball. Class sessions are located at various Frederick County schools, Recreation Centers, and parks. Location, schedule and duration of each class/program will be determined as appropriate. Necessary equipment will be provided by the Division of Parks and Recreation. Supervision is received from the Recreation Specialist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
* Develop, coordinate and execute lesson plans and course outlines
* Assure the return and condition of issued equipment and supplies
* Compile and maintain record-keeping related to each class (e.g. attendance)
* Teach and demonstrate sports skills and techniques
* Communicate effectively with age appropriate language
* Perform other related duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Any single position may not be assigned all duties listed above, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be assigned. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
The qualifications / requirements, knowledge/skills/abilities and physical demands or working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Minimum age 16 years by March 1, 2021
* Basic knowledge of sporting activities and rules of play
* Current certification in Community First Aid and CPR, or the ability to become certified before the program begins (certification must be maintained throughout employment)
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
* Ability to effectively prepare and carry out lesson plans (as appropriate)
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working/teaching relationships with co-workers, participants and their family members; school personnel and the general public
* Strong and effective spoken and written (English) communication skills in order to conduct classes and perform related record-keeping
* Ability to effectively lead and supervise large groups in recreational activities
PREFERENCE MAY BE GIVEN FOR:
* Experience providing sports instruction in a leadership role to elementary youth
* Sports coaching certification(s) or licenses
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
* Physical requirements include the ability to actively participate in sports as part of the instruction process
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / EXAMINATION PROCESS
* Ability to provide own transportation as needed
EXAMINATION PROCESS (may include)
1.) Evaluation of training and experience
2.) One or more interviews
3.) A pre-employment background investigation
This description reflects management's assignment of essential duties; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.