* Requisition no: 521905
* Work type: Full Time
* Location: Medical Center
* School/Department: Neurology
* Grade: Technical Grade 5
* Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
* Job Type: Support Staff - Union
* Bargaining Unit: SSA
* Regular/Temporary: Regular
* Hours Per Week: 35.00
* Salary Range: $53,517.12
The Research Assistant will work with the Department of Neurology at Columbia University, in various projects related to mitochondrial disease. This position relies on grant funding.
* Provide assistance with collection, preparation, laboratory processing and shipment of human biospecimen samples (e.g. blood, serum, plasma, CSF) according to research protocol; order laboratory and research supplies; ensure safe laboratory practices, maintain accurate, detailed, and up-to-date record regarding all techniques/procedures performed and results obtained.
* Responsible for entering data into the appropriate database; and quality assurance activities as assigned to ensure that study data are entered and transmitted in a timely fashion. Address sponsor queries and update database as needed.
* Coordinate the communication between the research and lab personnel for assays.
* Contact and schedule human research participants, and assist with the assessment of potential research participants including but not limited to conducting telephone and in-person interviews to screen their eligibility.
* Candidate will handle petty cash account for the study including reconciliation, prepare check requests, maintain petty cash log, and petty cash disbursements.
* Other responsibilities will include and are not limited to data collection, data management, data entry, scoring, organizing, filing, data quality checks, data cleaning, Xeroxing materials, presenting data collected, and collecting and preparing biological samples. Perform other duties as assigned.
* Analyze data from Excel and SPSS databases; perform statistical/hypothesis testing and summarize key findings
* Preparation and management of sponsor monitoring visits.
* Assist with drug accountability
* Requires a bachelor's degree and at least 1.5 years of related experience or equivalent in education, training and experience.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Knowledge of laboratory procedures, the use and preparation of biospecimen, and medical terminology.
* Experience with computers and human subject research.
* Familiarity/proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, is preferred. Additionally, experience managing/cleaning databases.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Jan 12 2022 Eastern Standard Time Applications close:
Back Apply Share